Summery mushroom inspiration?

Anyone have some favourite summer recipes featuring mushrooms?

On the skewers with marinated lamb chunks, bell pepper, onion, for shish-kebab.

4 Likes

I like mushroom carpaccio. You’d need a mandoline (or amazing knife skillz), tho. Despite being the most boring mushrooms cooked, I find that white buttons work best. I find they have a pleasant snap and pepperiness raw. Find the biggest you can, slice them a little more than paper thin, then top with grated parm, a little bit of lemon juice or white balsamic or sherry vinegar, and olive oil. Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper (or pink, if you want to be fancy).

i think it’s kind of key to add the oil last. Shrooms are oil sponges, and you want to keep the peppery bite and snap.

Otherwise, just a mushroom sauté with garlic, fresh parsley, lemon zest and white wine is a nice, light summer dish.

6 Likes

Many years back, my friend and colleague Pete invited us round for the evening. He had an interesting back story did Pete. British by birth, his family immigrated to Australia when he was a child. Then in due course, along came the draft for the Vietnam war, to which he had an objection. So he legged it back to the UK, never to return to Oz.

Anyway, one of the snacks that evening was raw button mushrooms and a very garlicky aioli to dunk them in. Delicious and, periodically, I remember just how delicious and make them at home. That evening must be getting on for 40 years ago.

8 Likes

I am partial to chanterelles with eggs.

6 Likes

Almost anything I do with shrooms involves onions and peppers, with butter and/or EVOO, cheese, and garlic… this all makes a great topping for burgers, steaks and salads… as well as prime ingredients for a dip or quiche.

Really great marinated mushrooms are also a fav for Summer… and great in salads and dips.

What kinds of things are you looking for?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried to make them myself, but I buy jarred teriyaki-marinated mushrooms. They are a good addition to burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. I imagine one could get something similar by cooking them the wrong way - that is, over low heat, so they leak and steam, then adding a splash of teriyaki or soy sauce, and a bit of rice vinegar.

3 Likes

Very nice as a component of a cold soba bowl. Or anywhere, really. I make this with fresh shiiitakes.

4 Likes

My decades old take on Marinaded Mushrooms, with a teriyaki option.

3 Likes

Lace vegetable broth with tamari, mirin, and ginger. Simmer sliced shiitakes, carrot match sticks, and scallions. Add ramen noodles, an egg mollet, add sliced protein of your choice to cook rare or medium rare in the broth, and top with sunflower sprouts. Despite all the things going on the shiitakes are the star. Despite being warm it is so light that it works in summer.

2 Likes

If you care about spelling, it’s “marinated”. That’s the verb. Marinade, a noun, is the liquid being used.

2 Likes

Next up will be my spaghetti sauce-where I rely on canned pieces–but I’m headed for much more interesting sautes’ and omelettes–using my knives.

Ray

1 Like

LOL (fixed). When I added this entry to the website I used “marinated”, but when I looked up my old recipe it was written “marinade”… so I googled “marinade” to see if it was a “d” or a “t” and it was a “d”, so I changed the occurrences of “marinated”.

What can I say… I’m a dummy who doubts his original best instincts. (c;

4 Likes

The first is generally going to be the best.

Not necessarily summery but cacio e pepe laced with thinly sliced truffles and sliced creminis sautéed in butter was pretty good. I suppose the right wine could make it summery. Vecchiouomo recommends a Pinot Gris from the Eyrie.

3 Likes

Oh… and while there are no shrooms in this other than the soy sauce, this Chinese chicken salad is incredible on a hot Summer evening, especially with an ice cold Kirin Ichiban beer (I know it is Japanese, but still a wonderful pairing).

4 Likes

Chilled, grilled and in a salad. Small whole button mushrooms are fab when pickled, also mushrooms on pizza dough, grilled outside. An omelet with Boursin cheese and mushrooms would be good, also a light pasta dish with mushrooms and shallots or including scallops or other shellfish. Grilled fish filets topped with sautéed mushrooms, or grilled or sautéed mushrooms folded into a dip for crackers or bread, mushroom bruschetta, grilled. Lots of good ideas on this thread!

3 Likes

I’ve had some port wine cheese (like the crock yes) stuffed mushrooms before that were great. Served cold served warm sometimes breadcrumbs. I think medium size mushroom roasted first. This is some 70s dish possibly.

1 Like

Blanch some Oysters, Shiitake, and/or King Oyster mushrooms, then julienne, and set aside.

Prepare a marinade with the following: soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar, salt, minced garlic and (peeled) ginger, and white pepper.

Drizzle the marinade over the julienned mushrooms, toss, and refrigerate overnight (or at least 5 hours). Drizzle with some toasted sesame oil before serving and eating.

5 Likes

I have . King boletus sauteed or grilled . With olive oil and anchovy added. Chanterelles with butter and garlic . The problem is the mushroom hunters in the area .Along with the morels in the burn area Will never give up their spot or mushrooms. I completely understand.

2 Likes