Stubborn Poor Cookware Practice(s)?

I always thought it is a myth. I cannot image using a knife as a can opener. She has never used a regular can opener?

Last time my brother was in town we were prepping a Mexican feast for a large group. With my back to the stovetop while prepping ingredients for guac and salsas I hear CRACK!!! I turn around and see my avocado green ceramic tortilla warmer (part of a beautiful multi-colored ceramic Mexican serving set) sitting on the cooktop in multiple pieces.

Seems he set it on the cooktop on high.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot about being guilty of that particular crime - Iā€™ve done it when camping. I used to keep my old John Wayne (P-38 can opener) on my keychain but someone else drove and we didnā€™t have another can opener. But it was a sturdy utility knife I used, though, not kitchen knives.

We need a ā€œtears/cryā€ response option.

Edit - also for this one

I wonder, if you got a cloth buffing wheel and some polishing rouge, maybe you could restore it to original condition.

For that matter, you might be able to get a jeweler to try it for less than the cost of the equipment.

1 Like

I think back in college, I bought a can (something) and realize that I donā€™t have a can opener. I cannot what I did. I think I start using my scissor to stab it or maybe screw driver without success. I donā€™t think it occurred to me to use a kitchen knife.

So sad. What happened next? Did he yell at you for buying fragile cookware?

Noā€¦ I actually lost it for a moment or two asking WTF was he thinking?

Because you said it was a brother. Brothers can sometime do reverse yelling. Like he blames you for scaring him. :slight_smile:

I think I have seen some parents being overly protective about their children. When their kids do something wrong, the parents would yell at other people. I need to think of a specific example.

The worst is the martini glasses!!

I ban people from my kitchen on pain of death, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. It terrifies me to see what people do. Thereā€™s a reason why Iā€™ve never wrecked any of my own equipment. Sadly, when Iā€™ve been requested to bring my equipment to someoneā€™s house, the same thing happens, but without my ability to interdict or intervene.

And that begins with the destroyer: the dishwasher. My begging not to put my stuff in the DW has fallen on deaf ears more than once, with sad results.

When I still could cook with my copper, I learned quickly to hide it when kitchen ā€œhelpā€ appeared. As bad as scratching: cranking the burner up to ā€œincinerateā€ with the pan, alone and empty, on it. NOOOOOOOO!!

1 Like

That would be hard to believe. But they had a ā€œfancyā€ oxo can opener vs the cheapie regular one, so itā€™s possible she couldnā€™t figure it out and just went with the ā€œeasierā€ option.

My cousin was visiting, decided to make himself a sandwich that he ate at my cherry wood dining room table, without a plate, paper towel or placemat, crumbs everywhere.

He took my abrasive scouring pad for cleaning my glass stovetop to the cherry wood to wipe it up. I grabbed it so fast after I saw him take the first wipe from the corner of my eye.

Not sure what he was thinking. He could have used a paper towel, a tea towel, asked for a j cloth.

That is a not so great nanny, but I suppose the number one job of a nanny is to take care of the children, and not about preparing meals.

Yeah, I probably can polish it. I still have a dremel tool which I bought (remember using a similar one to polishing and bluffing some metal ion lens). But that will take forever for a kitchen knife.

I figure that the knife is still 100% functional and it is not my top knife anyway.

My DW hasnā€™t been used since Thanksgiving 2019. Iā€™m afraid to turn it on now. Obviously, I donā€™t use it.

3 Likes

I had a touch-up painter in my old house use my paring knife to pry open paint cans. I wasnā€™t home; knife was put back in the block, tipless.

3 Likes

My Electric Kettle stands ever-ready to add boiling water to an emptied pan, still hot and still on the stove. Think of it like deglazing ā€¦ but maybe with a wee bit of soap. Works great for me.

2 Likes

Good idea. (and I have an electric kettle too)

1 Like

Crossed forks doesnā€™t do it. I still wish a few emojis were options for use like crossed forks. :dizzy_face:

All Iā€™ve ever done.

Can she show us on the wooden cutting board where it hurt her? Those poor cutting boards!

1 Like