Striped Bass Recipes?

Anyone got recipes for a big striped bass? Just for the sake of reading as I got nothing to cook. Slot limit this year is 28 to 31 inches. This one was almost 50. The one that didn’t get away but had to send it away.

Resized_20240531_105350

I am collecting recipes for whenever I can manage to catch a keeper.

3 Likes

I haven’t cooked it at home.

Here are some leads to how others have used it.

https://www.hungryonion.org/search?q=striped%20bass%20%23cooking

I would probably make it simply with olive oil, lemon juice , sea salt, pepper and oregano the first time I was to make it.

Cc @MsBean

1 Like

I love cooking whole fish at home, usually grilled. I’ve done variations of both recipes included in this 1998 NYT column from a beloved New England chef, Chris Schlesinger. They both scream summer to me.

ETA: There’s definitely an art to grilling a whole fish…I’ve stuck to small ones. Even a 31-incher would be quite the challenge for me. Roasting for both of these preps works, too.

1 Like

Oh I wish I had mother’s recipe. It was poached with onions, tomatoes (not many), maybe some wine and a Californian bay leaf. Gawd it was good. Dad was a big striper catcher when he got the chance. I just loved that dish. Haven’t had anything since I was a kid. Time to dig through the plethora of cookbooks I inherited.

1 Like

That’s a great looking fish @BKeats. Where do you fish?

Mr Bean is an avid fisher - primarily for sea bass, striped bass and fluke depending upon the season - we have fish a lot. I am not that fussy so I’ll switch up fish for a recipe depending upon what I have on hand. Some of our favorites are:

Thai Curry
Fish Tacos
Fish wrapped in Swiss Chard - a great recipe from Adeena Sussman’s Sababa
Lightly poached with tomatoes, garlic, capers, olives and white wine/Acqua Pazza
Thai Basil Fish (based a chicken recipe from Rasa Malaysia
Ceviche/Crudo/Agua Chile
Piccata

If you’re interested, I post many of my fish meals, among other things, on Instagram as @robin.frazzy

PS Thanks @Phoenikia for tagging me

2 Likes

Cook it in salt in the bread oven…

The last striped bass I cooked was a half, gifted to me by a friend who said the whole thing was too much for her and her husband. He gutted and fileted it, and only had to clean up a few scales. I cut it in half across the middle and steamed it with slivered ginger and green onions Chinese-style. The other half I cut into about 1" cubes, battered, deep fried, and drizzled a sweet and sour sauce over it. Both ways were delicious.

4 Likes

If you want to gild the lily, try Maryland Rockfish Crab Imperial.