Street tacos: where and how SF

Yes!

1 Like

No idea. I know what they are but have never seen them in person.

1 Like

Sonoran dog venders took over SF Fisherman’s Wharf right before the pandemic. The dogs probably outsell the iconic clam chowder bowl 4 to 1 now.

6 Likes

Wow!

Also very common in the SF Mission District, where it’s traditional to get a bacon-wrapped hot dog after a night’s drinking.

4 Likes

I guess you don’t believe in adjectives…like Belgium beer, right? You know, that’s just beer.

Not going to debate it either but I will say the lack or dislike of adjectives is just weird. Perhaps it’s a refusal to acknowledge is ghettoization. I mean why use any any word to further describe any food…gelato is ice cream so STOP CALLING IT FANCY FOREIGN ITALIAN WORDS! ALL BEER IS JUST BEER. Stop calling it American, German, Aussie or Belgium. JUST STOP!!! :slight_smile:

Do you mean Belgian beer?
Belgium is a noun.

1 Like

But if it goes before beer, it’s a descriptive, geographic identifier. No need to use it really because it’s still JUST BEER.

I walked past Gott’s Palo Alto on the way to Howie’s yesterday. I’m not really a fan, but I could try some of these Restaurant Tacos.

My rant is simple, and misguided, and hopefully not dangerous :-). I would like the things I call Tacos to remain Tacos, and I would not like them to be renamed “Street Tacos”. I would like the overly fancy large things served in restaurants to get another name. They can be called Restaurant Tacos or Cheffy Tacos or Korean Tacos. I had some really nice Phillipino Tacos a few weeks back, they were great, and they were accurately labeled.

This is based, selfishly, on my belief in myself as the center of the universe, and my desire to hold on to my own nostalgia. I will also build a creaky justification based on the superiority of the simple taco, its classic formula of a meat, a dab of salsa (maybe self applied perhaps by the vendor), a little sprinkle of onion, and some lime and/or pickled objects / radish on the side. The meat is center stage, the corn ads a bit of filling starch but not much. It’s not a complicated dish. These objects are so primal and true that I believe they should maintain the name TACO.

Other things can accept the adjective. A Super Taco - the thing at a taqueria that has more toppings and cheese and maybe beans - is a different thing. It’s also a LESSER THING. Or there can be Restaurant Tacos, or whatever. Fish Tacos are a particularly great thing, and they are Fish Tacos, a subspecies of Tacos. A great Fish Taco is not actually a lesser thing than a Taco.

It is clear, already, that I am on the wrong side of history. The things I love will apparently be called a “street taco”.

I’ll go back to my corner and shake my cane at the world, thanks for being a part of this rant.

6 Likes

Sounds like an American thing/

Oh, bbulkow, Sweetie, I hear your pain. I live your angst! When you are my age, you will find that few of your favorite experiences are replicable, your most precious purveyors are gone, and that what remains is renamed beyond recognition. Hang on. It’s better than the alternative,

2 Likes

Who are you arguing with?

I just hope someone tells all those tacos de guisado stands in DF they need to change their signs to just say “tacos.” Also the tacos al carbon and tacos al vapor places too — can’t be describing the type of taco.

I did end up getting some tacos from Street Taco on 9th st but had to get them to go because we ended up driving (too hot today!) so they got a little thrown around. But good as always and my guy even gave me some extra shavings off the trompo to snack after not seeing him in a while.

Tacos (in-house corn tortilla, meat(s), salsa, onion, cilantro):

Campechano (chorizo and carne asada):

Al pastor:

6 Likes

Tacos al carbon, de guisado, and al vapor are fine with me. Those are subspecies of the best form of thing, where the limping of all these into ‘street taco’ is reductive and annoying. I would be deeply shocked if there is a ‘street taco’ sign in df, and assume since kind of sly humor or tourist attraction.

I think you’re ready to make this a TEDTalk

2 Likes

I had tacos at tacolicious. They were ‘large format’, and this had only one tortilla not two, but otherwise were tacos. Meats, and you add your own salsa. Some of the meats were new fangled (pastrami) but otherwise all was just fine. Tacos, called tacos.

1 Like

Yeah, tacolicious tocos are tacos the in same manner dogs and cats are mammals. They even give names for their different types of tacos. Definitely not what most would consider street tacos though.

3 Likes

Was at the Silicon Valley Open in San Jose on Friday so what to do after watching tennis all day but to get tacos. I don’t really know SJ much but Metro Balderas 1 was close enough so we went there.

Had cabeza, lengua, suadero, chorizo, and al pastor.

7 Likes

Thanks for teaching me about suadero! Sounds and looks super. Great find.

3 Likes