Street tacos: where and how SF

No problem! This was the brisket version of suadero (which you also find in Mexico). I prefer the rose meat version but sometimes you take what you can get. Compare to this suadero on the street (street tacos!) in PDC:

If you ever see the real deal, make sure to get it!

5 Likes

That looks good. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for suadero on my taqueria jaunts.

1 Like

El Rey Taquiza Artesanal

Hadn’t heard of this place but parked across the street so had to check them out.

We weren’t really trying to eat so just got an al pastor and a carne asada. The place was smoky walking in and smelled good. They make their tortillas on a Lennin machine and they were very good.

al pastor was pretty good. More on the spiced side. I prefer the more chili based al pastor so wasn’t my favorite but still a good taco:

carne asada. Good carne here — the meat was super tender and big cuts, and good flavoring. Carne asada isn’t usually my favorite but it was the better of the two tacos:

Hope a certain someone doesn’t see their menu board because…

4 Likes

Thanks for the report. I went opening weekend and had the pastor tacos, but wasn’t crazy about them. Mine had a single tortilla. I didn’t post because it was opening weekend and they seemed pretty slammed. Maybe I’ll give them another try now that they’ve been open a bit.

1 Like

i prefer a better meat to cilantro/onions ratio but might look even smaller nekid.

That needs to be framed and put up at MOMA.

I would only go back if I happened to park right next to it again and needed a bite, or part of a taco crawl, etc., but wouldn’t make a trip just for these.

1 Like

I had some tacos from Doña in Oakland today at the end of Piedmont Ave. A counter service place from Dona Savitsky, one of the owners of the now-closed Doña Tomas in Temescal. They have a large two level patio. I got a barbacoa taco (beef braised in smoky chiles, tomato, & coca cola, with diced onions & cilantro - $4.75), a carnitas taco (oregano rubbed pork confit, with avocado salsa & pico de gallo - $4.75), and a pescado taco (battered & fried rock cod, with chipotle aioli, cabbage & pickled fresno chiles - $4.75)

Pretty good tacos that were on the larger side. The tortillas, which came two to a taco, were a little thicc and I believe they are made in-house. Nice texture and corn flavor. Both the barbacoa and the carnitas tacos were very juicy. The carnitas was almost like a stew. I think I like my carnitas a little more crispy but it was good nonetheless. The pescado taco was a bit like a Baja style fried fish taco. Nice and crispy with a creamy chipotle mayo sauce.

Washed it down with a Jamaica.

6 Likes

Not SF, but this seems to be the (street) taco thread but came into the city (ha, not that one) and had some street tacos last night. And @pilgrim, had a cabeza for you (forgot to photo that one though, sorry!).

Besides that one, also had suadero and al pastor (griddled off coming off the trompo):

6 Likes

Where?

Name of truck?

1 Like

Went to El Paisa in Oakland, cribbed off a Michelin bib rec. It’s as good as recommended. I won’t get into specifics after one visit but I’ll go back. Staff is sharp. Tacos are street size…the plato might be the value pick (didn’t get it). Small details like a taco came with nopales slices and/or a cebolitas bulb as garnish. Good salsa…and lots of locals, mostly locals.

Otherwise, a perfect place to stop on an airport run to OAK. Not far off 880, at High St., so a few exits away. It has a parking lot, seems secure and you can see your car (luggage) from some places. Given car breaks in the Bay Area, it’s helpful, and very convenient.

El Paisa
4610 International Blvd Oakland, CA 94601

4 Likes

Non-paywalled:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfchronicle.com%2Fprojects%2Fbest-tacos-bay-area%2F

Originally posted on FTC:

4 Likes

@pilgrim had some cabeza tacos the other day from the El Tonayense truck outside of Best Buy. They’re well known enough but I’m not the biggest fan of their al pastor but my first time trying cabeza there was pretty good — nice bit of fat, good flavor.

The plate looks a bit a mess — I was shopping at Rainbow while my gf was returning something at Best Buy so they sat in the to go plate a minute so the salsa leaked a bit. They do add a lot of salsa to all their tacos so if that’s not you’re thing, ask for half. And it’s easy to use since you can just park in the Best Buy parking lot and eat it at the truck or on the trunk of your car like we did.

6 Likes

My go to is the El Tio Juan truck on Foothill Ave in Oakland. Panzon by Campbell & Grand is also pretty good but not as consistent (been a while since my last visit)

I also like Aguachiles El Tamarindo for mariscos.

In SF I pretty much stick with Belmar “La Gallanita” Meat Market on 24th in the Mission when I’m in the mood for cecina. Not satisfied by any other spots in the city (Gallo Giro was decent years ago, but no more)

And I guess El Fuego on Sansome is pretty good if you’re into the quesabirria craze (El Buen Sabor in Hayward is better but out of the way for me)

I like Loma Linda in Daly City for pescado/camarones (stopped in last night after a horrible meal at Gallardo’s)

I’ve been meaning to try El Tucan in Richmond… looks pretty good imo. Also whoever mentioned Mi Reynita in San Leandro… looks killer and it’s next on my hit list.

5 Likes

Have you tried the new Tacos del Bario, 24th Street, SF where Roosevelt Tamale Parlor used to be?

I might try today, Mexico City style.

3 Likes

Nope, but I’ve been meaning to try it with my girlfriend. Let me know what you think if you make it over there. We were planning on swinging by one afternoon next week.

I like the fact that (I think!) they have an open salsa bar. During Covid, Farolito on 24th stopped their self service salsa bar. I really like Farolito’s chile relleno burrito and green salsa. I kick myself if I forget to ask for refried instead of pintos.

The Good, The Bad …
With Yelp check in you get a free refresco, I tried hibiscus for the first time, very nice, not very sweet.

Ordered carnitas taco, its small, $3.50, meat seemed good quality. Side of shrimp, too salty. Surprisingly, the refried beans, $4.50 side, weren’t salty enough.

There are no signs on the salsas and I got a creamy red one that nearly ruined my taco … set my mouth on FIRE. I thought it was habañero but they said it was made from dried chile de arbol.

My total was $15.

I got an al pastor taco to go for my daughter, asked for crispy meat. When I got home I had a taste, delicious with some chunks of pineapple. (When I tried to pay, they said was on the House! Very nice!)

I suggested they put signs on the salsas and also to try to make crispy tortillas for the tacos … I always order crispy at La Taqueria.

6 Likes

is that their carnitas in the photo above and was the meat dry? I usually prefer a fattier cut with some char and grease… looks like it might be gringo-fied a bit?

I’ll be sure to order the pastor, I’ve seen pics of their spit roast on yelp and it looks really good. suadero too. I’m also interested in the weekend barbacoa special.

Yes, my taco was carnitas, not dry at all. I asked for crispy, was not. The al pastor for my daughter was definitely crispy … I’ll get that next time.

The refried were not worth $4.50, should have gotten another taco for $3.50.

I don’t know if they have cheese, would have liked that on taco.

3 Likes