Street tacos: where and how SF

The different size of the tortillas are a defining factor for what is usually sold off trucks. There is a noticeable difference in size and the manufacturers like Mission sell smaller tortilla labels “street taco size”. They sell them in just about every supermarket in the Bay area. You notice the difference is size when you order 4 tacos from a truck…they fit on a regular 9” paper plate. The larger size fits 1.5. Won’t bore you with a link, you can do the search if you care.

Is it marketing? Partly but after the fact that trucks and carts usually used the smaller tortillas. But taco trucks have been using smaller tortilla for a long time. Street taco simply became a short hand for smaller tortilla…bought off the street, cart or truck. Not really a mystery and there a reason to differentiate, whether you agree or not. Just like sliders are little burger…street tacos let you know the tacos are smaller. That’s why the fancy place served you three. Of course they’re just trying to sell a little street cred and marketing, right?

As for Mission burrito, that’s a regional definition…much like Chicago deep dish, Detroit square pizza, NY thin crust pizza, etc. Yup, they’re all tacos and pizza…but different kinds due to region, style, size or other factors. I mean why call it a chimichanga if it’s really just a deep fried burrito?

2 Likes

Truck tacos in the extended Bay Area range from $2 for the most basic (meat and simple garnish) to $3.50 for more elaborate garnish, like lots of grilled onions. They are small, usually 3 1/2 inch tortillas. You can split them, if your are inclined, and spread the filling over each single tortilla. It works. 2 to 3 street tacos are a decent meal. I have seen laborers go for 4, and they’ve put in 4 hours of work and looking to repeat the same.

I reaslly like street tacos because of the high protein to carb ratio, as opposed to a sandwich…

1 Like

Especially if you put fillings from two tacos in “one” tortilla!

1 Like

Ooops. I have had 7 or 8 without putting in any work prior or after.

5 Likes

These are the things i call tacos.

When i order them at a truck, they are called tacos.

If i order them from a taqueria they are generally the same size, and they are called tacos.

The taqueria around the corner has them too, and they are four to a paper plate. The menu says tacos.

Based on this discussion, where do i get restaurant tacos?

I also love em because the protein to carb level is high. And taste.

1 Like

On that measure, Chinese “Street Skewers” do even better.

Not sure if there are any “street-based” Skewer Vendors in ~SF?

(I think we can all agree that is just one of the reasons NYC >> SF)

Why would people in San Francisco agree NYC is better than San Francisco for street food?

Apples to oranges, amigo.

I’d take tacos over hot dogs and Halal Guys any day.

I’m sure someone in the Bay Area serves Chinese skewers, Vietnamese skewers, satay, souvlaki, kabobs or shawarma from a truck or a cart.

The skewers from inside a Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant might be cheaper than a food truck.

2 Likes

Most of the dim sum shops on Clement Street sell chicken skewers. take out, but not literally street vendors.

2 Likes

There’s very little talk of it on line, but NYC’s street food is way more plentiful and diverse than the well known hot dog stands. Yes, there are the halal carts, offering lots of Middle Eastern food, & there are Caribbean Island food carts & hundreds of roast nuts or pretzel carts (yes, they count too). But, each Chinatown is lined with street vendors, some single item carts, but some offering up to 10 items each. The “Red Hook Ballfields”, now way past its prime but still in existence, was visited by Bourdain years ago & was a weekend destination for many of us. There were 20-30 vendors lining the area, each offering Latin American foods, from tuna ceviche to arepas. Lots of these areas throughout NYC still exist, in East Harlem and around much of Queens, including Flushing Meadow Park, where the Queens Night Market has taken up. Going to food trucks & Smorgasburg have replaced many of these carts as destinations, somewhat due to increased health regulation enforcement, but you can eat for a week just using the carts that dot the landscape of the city. Just thought I’d mention that.

8 Likes

I think we can all agree that it is just one of the reasons NYC is a nice place to visit, but…

6 Likes

I know NYC has good street food options, beyond street meat.

That said, as a relatively frequent visitor to NYC pre-pandemic, trying to squeeze food, art, theatre and friends into my 4 day visits, I haven’t managed to get to the corners of Queens or Brooklyn to try the interesting street food. Maybe some day.

I admit, I’m too scared about possible food poisoning to try some carts and stalls I’ve seen in Manhattan. So, my street food in NYC has been limited to hot dogs, chestnuts, sugared coconut, hot nuts, Pappa Perrone’s rice ball truck (I think it no longer exists), a fancy dessert from a food truck near the EV, a memorable Merguez sausage on a bun from the Alliance Française during a street fest on Bastille day, and maybe some zeppole from a street festival in the 90s.

To ask people on the San Francisco board to agree that street food in NYC is better is brazen.

LOL

3 Likes

You seem very passionate about this, so not going to debate it, and happy that you call them all tacos.

But when @pilgrim labeled this thread as it is, I knew exactly what she was talking about. I didn’t think she was talking about the fried fish tacos I grew up eating when we’d camp on the beach in San Felipe, or the gussied up Korean tacos at Surisan. Subcategorizing food when looking for something particular is normal and efficient. Like I wouldn’t make a thread titled “Sandwiches: where and how SF” when I was particularly looking for banh mi.

6 Likes

Which actually reminds me (must be getting old to have forgotten this with the name and all) that there is a place I used to live next to actually called Street Taco, and I happen to be walking by there today so will stop in. I probably didn’t think of it because they don’t do cabeza, lengua, etc., but their meat tacos (and nopales) are pretty good made with good in-house tortillas. I’ll take some photos and add them later.

5 Likes

Where to get a restaurant taco?
Most upscale Mexican restaurants

Examples

Otra on Haight?

Padrecito on Cole?

Just about any upscale Mexican restaurant will have some version

5 Likes

I have not been, but this had me thinking of cheffy tacos in Napa. I’m thinking this one.

Napa and Sonoma are our go to for dinner out, when SF seems a bit much, but we have not yet done this. Not sure why.

1 Like

I really miss the diversity of street food. Even before the pandemic, there were way fewer regular trucks on the streets of SF than in NYC. (I don’t count the truck “gatherings” like Off the Grid). You can’t even get a basic street hot dog here–the carts with the bacon-wrapped dogs aren’t a regular thing and they seem a bit dodgy anyway.

2 Likes

I think I had some shrimp tacos at Gott’s
Roadside in St Helena. Looks like it’s fish or avocado these days.

https://www.gotts.com/menu/

3 Likes

Not the newer Keller place I was thinking of, but of course! I’ve loved Gotts before it was Gotts! I only just realized my favorite Pinot Grigio was the same Gotts. Duh!

1 Like

Does anyone sell Sonoran hot dogs in the Bay Area? In a restaurant, from a cart or from a truck?

Taylor’s Refresher?

I wish we had places like that here in southern Ontario. We don’t.