Street tacos: where and how SF

Most of the trucks we frequent add some grilled spring onion (cibolitas asadas) to a simple taco order. Sometimes automatic, sometimes by request.

1 Like

In some of the taquerias I’ve been to in the Bay Area, they’ll put beans on a standard (non-super) street taco. I’ve always found that a little odd.

2 Likes

“con frijoles” means it is no longer an ANSI Standard Taco. Which is why they may refuse/hesitate.

2 Likes

You pulling legs here?

I’ll take the old El Paso kind of deal w taco shells, ground beef, orange powder, diced tomato, iceberg lettuce shredded cheese and “taco sauce” any day. Pickled jalapeños, avocado for the win.

5 Likes

Perfectly alright. America is not a Melting Pot but thankfully a Tossed Salad. Lots of separate ingredients, each with its own history and character.

2 Likes

Are you some kind of Taco Libertarian / Taco Anarchist?

2 Likes

:grinning: No, just acronyn challenged.

1 Like

Ok, I was just checking.

1 Like

Taco Anarchist has a nice ring to it.

2 Likes

Too guy fieri

1 Like

Probably filler. You know, inflation. Tacos off the truck in Oakland are now $3.50.

re: street tacos…use to be a reference to the size, aka smaller tortilla. 3.5” vs. 5” if I recall. I suppose sort of like how a slider is a still a burger, just smaller.

4 Likes

Bingo. Of course, it’s the size that provokes the name “street taco” to differentiate it from a 5" restaurant or sit-down taco,

1 Like

?
I know you mean tortillas, but I figured I’d get in on your rant.

1 Like

That place looks good. A good friend had a bakery in that shopping center.

I went in there once! Excellent stuff.

Reposado in Palo Alto had a ‘street tacos’ entry almost since opening. They are really good, come three to an order, and i think they called them street tacos (actually tacos de calle or similar) because it sounded fancier. Reposado is a pretty fancy joint.

I am not ok with this. Mission burrito was bad enough, but burritos were always a made in America bastard child anyway.

But tacos. Tacos are tacos. Crispy tacos, deluxe tacos, are all fine terms (even tacos con frijoe) but we shouldn’t have messed with the taco. The base model is perfection itself, it needed no modifier.

1 Like

An industry standard tortilla looks to be about 5 inches. Like the kind you get pelted with in Bay to breakers.

There is a large size, life what a quesobierra comes in. That size should be the abherration. We could call them large tacos.

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of floppy disks?

Still $2.50 here in Berkeley. I had excellent carnitas tacos from a truck for lunch today.

1 Like

There is certainly a time and place for nostalgic food from the 70s and 80s. i might call that a texmex taco or a 70s taco, making something up.