Stockpot choice, fissler OP or Lagostina Accademia

Hi Claus, I did also consider 28cm pot due to the large bottom surface. The fissler 28cm is the champion of even heating. It is very very heavy though. I saw the new Original Profi (rebranded from pure-profi series), there are some changes in design. I like their old Profi more to be honest. Their new handles are rectangular. I also observe that fissler tapers a bit of the disc bottom around the edge (not straight anymore), I doubt that they have shedded out little aluminum compare to the old profi. If I would buy a profi, i want to buy the old version for sure. But since i am collecting Lagostina, I am more towards their 26cm accademia serving pan.

1 Like

Hi Terry,

Iā€™m glad I got two of the old Fissler Original Profi pots a couple of years ago, based on advice from Andrew (am47) and Damiano back when we were at the Chowhound forum (a forum that is now gone)

When Iā€™m just making a smaller portion stock for a soup, stew or reduction sauce, the 28 cm 4.5 liter roasting pan from Fissler is just fine. I have to keep the stirring at a minimum though to avoid liquids from splashing out of the pot, but I like that I really can get a nice even browning on the vegetables - without scorching them - for my darker stocks.

I made Demi glacĆ© using my Fissler OP 28 cm 7.2 liter pot last week without having to brown the meat & bones in the oven. Normally Iā€™ll brown the meat and bones in the oven first in my large Mauviel Mā€™Cook roasting dish, but I managed to do a great job using my Fissler OP 7.2 liter pot on the stovetop, with itā€™s very evenly heating sandwich bottom.

Lagostina Lagofusion is also great cookware - my two Lagostina Lagofusion pots are very slow to heat up, almost as slow as my two Fissler OP pots, even though the Lagostina Lagofusion has clad/ply sidewalls.

Iā€™ve given both my Lagostina Lagofusion pots to my father and they work excellent on his induction stovetop.
I cook on gas at my home.

1 Like

You got all the high end cookwares, omg!!! What size are your 2 lagofusion pots ? My lagos 28cm frying pan is slow to heat up too sometimes i want a smaller, ligther & faster pan for easy work like stir fry 1 to 2 portion of pasta, small vegetables. Those heavy bottom pans like fissler, lagos, demeyere proline are meant for browning, searing, and slow cooking task. If i can choose again, at 28cm size i think i would prepfer a rondeau, low casserole instead of frying pan. while for frying pan, I shall keep a smaller 24cm/26cm size, more maneuverable.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a cookware enthusiast - I own 55+ pans and pots, most high end stuff.

My two Lagostina Lagofusion pots are the 24 cm 6.5 liter pot and the 20 cm 3 liter pot.

I gave them to my father because I rarely used them in my kitchen - I use my Falk 2.5 copper Pot au Feu pots in 20 cm and 24 cm more often for soups and smaller stews and my two Iittala Tools pots in 22 cm size 3 liter version and 4 liter version for polenta and rice more often.

I agree with you about knowing the advantages and disadvantages of heavy thick bottom cookware.

Hence why I only use my De Buyer Mineral B Pro & Darto carbon steel pans for high heat meat & steak searing and not much else.

I also own a trio of Demeyere Proline 7-ply 4.8 mm thick frying pans and they are not exactly fast in response time up and down, so I most often also use these for meat searing jobs and not for high speed sautƩing - unless I manage to have all ready at the same minute.

If I leave sautĆ©d vegetables in my Proline pans theyā€™ll continue to cook even when the pan has been removed from the burner.

Thatā€™s why I prefer to use my 2 x De Buyer Inocuivre 2.0 copper frying pans for high speed sautĆ© jobs.

Hi Claus,

Congrats on the demi-glace! I trust you have obtained something great. Itā€™s a hell of a lot of work! Which recipe did you use? Full Escoffier or simplified? How long did it take?

1 Like

Hi Louis,

I used the ā€˜Chef Johnā€™ method - I think heā€™s pretty close to Escoffier.
Even though he claims itā€™s a short cut way to do itā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Link:

1 Like

Why arenā€™t the Fisslers ideal nor technically suited for you?

To me they are. They are the first pot I reach for when I need to make stock. I often make a quick chicken and vegetable stock in my 20cm Fissler tall saucepan, for things like risotto. Sits sturdy on my gas stovetop, does the job extremely well, and afterwards I can just put it in the dishwasher. And all that for less than 100 euro.

1 Like

Shortcut maybe but still a project that takes the whole week-end, isnā€™t it?
Have you ever tried cheats like this? No jugement, safe space, etcā€¦

1 Like

The Lagostina 24cm 6.5L you gave to your father, is exactly the same piece i bought :slight_smile:

I cant own too many cookwares, I like minimize the collection down to 5pc to 6pc, storage is an issue, or some of them will be left unused.

1 Like

Hi Damiano,

Because of their shape

Wide and not so tall means you risk spilling the liquid when you stir in it. More a problem with the Fissler OP 28 cm 4.5 liter roasting dish than the higher walled Fissler OP 28 cm 7.2 liter stew pot.

A Fissler Original Profi 28 cm stockpot with higher walls would be the ideal stockpot in my opinion, but itā€™s huge.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also the enduring appeal of a good ā€œotherā€ Dutch Ovenā€¦

Thereā€™s this, available in the US:
[https://www.morethangourmet.com/collections/meat-based-sauces-and-stocks]

And this: