Stockpot choice, fissler OP or Lagostina Accademia

I had a pot with a disc bottom and stainless sidewalls, and I replaced it with a pot with excellent conductivity on all sides, same size. I found it easier to keep the stock at a true smile. Because it was more evenly hot without needing to up the heat on the bottom, I also ended up with clearer stock.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

This is exactly right and the reason why I said that for stock I’d pick the Fissler. For stock you don’t want excessive heat shedding, also the reason why stockpots often have a 1:1 ratio for height and width.

But personally I like the sidewalls shedding heat for making stew, because you will be able to more quickly and deeply concentrate flavours. And this is why I like the Le Creuset and Lagostina for making stews over the Fissler.

(But they are all excellent so just get the cheapest!)

2 Likes

Interesting idea ! So you think I’d have better results for stock in a Fissler than in my copper stockpots ?

I thought large cast iron pots were called dutch ovens. My stock pot is quite a bit larger than my dutch oven. So what is a stock pot?? How large does it have to be to be considered a stock pot??

I am going to throw a curve ball because I like to. :grinning:

If you plan to make a lot of clear stock/broth where you bring the water temperature slightly lower than boiling, then I would recommend Tiger Thermal Magic Cooker. I know. It is not your question.

To me, I use it as a more specialized, but important task in my kitchen. I will bring the liquid content up to boiling and then immediate turn off the heat. Then move the entire pot into the thermal jacket, which will hold the residue heat for a long time, and continue to cook at a temperature below boiling. I will take the pot out a few hours later to heat it up again… repeat the process.

I can achieve clear stock/broth with little works. Previously, I use the ceramic double boiler. It works, but it takes more attention for me.

2 Likes

Stockpots are usually roughly as tall as they’re wide. CI dutch ovens are stewpots : half as tall as they’re wide.

Interesting that Le Creuset starts to call these Dutch ovens. I thought they were telling people to call these French oven. Maybe they finally gave up.

1 Like

They bowed to the inevitability ! Dutch oven are about as specifically Dutch as the French kiss is specifically French. But hey, getting people to use French oven would probably be about as difficult as getting them to speak of Dutch kiss :crazy_face:

Hi, Chem:

Well, yes, thin liquids get moved around well without convection currents emanating from the sidewalls. And yes, most heat transfer in stocks is via convection. However, the added currents from hot sidewalls make the movements more complex, especially when trying to avoid boils and roiling simmers.

Thermoworks has a video simulation of this “3D” effect that is worth finding–I think it’s in their food safety/rethermalization section.

… Hmm… maybe I can use this as a pick up line?

Who knows? You might get lucky with a cocotte!

PS: https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of/french-word-cocotte.html

Interesting.

It’s also handy for setting out buffet-style for large holiday get-togethers. For those who don’t have warming plates or chafing dishes or other catering paraphernalia, ECI does a journeyman’s job of keeping contents warm. This is where I use all those vegetable-shaped cocottes :joy: I won’t talk about how I succumbed to crock pot smashed garlic potatoes, but I have a spoon rest by the side of the cooker and the damn thing is always scraped clean by the end of the meal …It’s OK … I do my penance by setting a (I hope) beautiful table. There are no troughs and shovels or paper plates …:joy:

1 Like

Well, I’d say the Fissler is at least not worse.

Tim @Vecchiouomo is making great stock in a copper pot so there’s that. Copper is always a great pick for any cooking task, though sometimes not the best imho.

Thanks for the kind words about my stock. The pot is often overkill, as I usually make only 3 to 4 quarts at a time, about half full with the carcass or bones or shells and the vegetable trimmings. Lately most of my stocks are more like vegetable stock with a bit of protein for flavor.

2 Likes

Thanks all your comment. Consider I am still using gas stove, i think i need at least a thin conductive sidewall for my cookware and there is less chance overheating burns the sidewall. I finally get the lagostina accademia 24cm 6.7L stockpot for a great deal of price. Nice piece of craft especially the disc bottom and loop handle.

3 Likes

Congrats.

Those geniuses at All-Clad should make their next line a hybridized version of d3, maybe call it H5.

Congratulations. I have one 24 cm piece, not a stockpot, and I’m very impressed with it.

I admit I really should own a proper cheap Padermo stock pot, but I use my - not so well technically suited - Fissler Original Profi 28 cm 7.2 liter stew pot for my larger batches of stock and my Fissler Original Profi 28 cm 4.5 liter roasting pot for my smaller batches of stock.

Neither are ideal stock pots, but they do the job just fine for me. Especially for the darker stock, which I prefer to make 9/10 times, because the 28 cm pan floor (effectively around 26 cm) browns the meat and vegetables so well and evenly.

1 Like