Stock in the crockpot

I was gifted a 7quart crockpot and have heard good things about using it for stock so thought I would give it a try. Looking for advice on settings, high vs low and time? Right now it’s on high and set for 10 hours…in hindsight I would probably do this over night and strain in the morning. Thanks.

I tend to start it on high but leave it on low overnight. It is very handy but you do have to strain the stock carefully as you can’t really skim it in the meantime as you would with a pot on the stove. (I have sometimes skimmed off excess fat on the surface, because I feared a possible fire risk). So you’ll have to strain the sediment, ideally with some kind of clean cloth (laundered without perfumed detergent!) Still, I find it is a great convenience; it also saves a lot of energy cost.

1 Like

Thanks, I typically defat at the end by just leaving it in the refrigerator over night. I got a bit of a late start, so I will leave it on low overnight. Thanks for the feedback.

According to America’s Test Kitchen, the high/low settings refer to how fast the food is brought to the SAME target temperature. I was surprised to learn that. Perhaps there’s a difference i the total quantity of electricity required but to the best of my recollection, this was not discussed.

What is the difference? Why you can skim with a stovetop pot, but not a slow cooker?

I’m guessing since every time you open the crock pot the temp drops?

1 Like

Interesting, but it’s hard to see how that is possible. For this I’m using high to get it boil/simmering, then turning down to low…

1 Like

My Crock-Pot uses a Corning Ware insert, and runs at 170 or 190 (I believe–check the Chowhound Crock-Pot threads for the exact numbers.) So America’s Test Kitchen is apparently a misnomer–I tested mine by running it for several days, they just took someone’s word for it.

That’s one thing for which, IMO, ATK can’t be criticized. In some cases we can quibble with their criteria and/or taste preferences, but they DO test thoroughly. Scroll down to paragraph 5 to see how they arrived at this contention: https://www.onlinecookingschool.com/school/tools/385

Quoting myself from Chowhound: “I just found a “Rival Crock-Pot with Corning Ware” at a thrift store for $13. It uses a standard (though perhaps discontinued) square 3L CW casserole dish as the insert and can presumably take the shallower 2L dish as well. The probe thermometer reports 190/205 or so, consistent after running for a few days at both settings. Those are pretty much exactly the temperatures I wanted.”

My friend has been using it and is extremely happy with the results. I especially like being able to buy spare 3L casseroles at thrift stores (or scourge them from my mom :-)) so you can cook a pot roast on Saturday and Chili on Sunday and just sick them both in the 'fridge.

Interesting. If ATK’s data is correct, then it’s one more reason to stop buying modern crud designed by people who think any new idea is a good idea.

I’ve got an old crockpot (which cook at a lower temp than newer models), and I usually go for 24 hours on Low.

That thing is wonderful. For anyone worried about the kitschy patterns, my ancient crockpot is far uglier as the paint on the metal housing has come off in some places where I really had to scrub it. Yes, those square Corning Ware dishes are still found at charity shops and church sales.

Linda, I have a very old one too, and can certainly keep it on for a very long time for bone broths, on low. On low it doesn’t get hot enough for the stock to get bitter, even with long cooking.

I’ve also used it for cooking pinhead oats (steel-cut) and for “rough” bulghur, and both turned out perfectly, not mushy, but also easy to chew and digest.

I think it is important to check the cord on those antique ones; I doubt it can be repaired alas, if it finally cracks. :cry: There are bones, including some fresh turkey bones with quite a bit of meat (neck, back…) which I picked up cheap at a nearby grocery. I will probably fish those out after a couple of hours and recover the bits of meat for my 20-year-old cat. Under the bones there was a whole turkey liver and heart, which human will eat…

1 Like

I believe you can still buy them new but nowadays I get all my kitchen appliances at thrift stores in CT, the heart of the financial crisis. They can afford to toss anything out–I recently found a refrigerated gelato machine for $19, which is 93% off the price of a new one.

I love my crockpot, but I don’t think I’d enjoy making stock in it. The shape is all wrong. I like my tall and deep stock pot. Stirring hot liquid in a short sided oval container sounds like a mess.
Plus, the temperature limitations of the crockpot aren’t going to work for me. I want it to heat up fast and hot, and then have the ability to lower as I see fit.