Stinky Dishwasher

I no longer think you’re a spy, nor are you Mrs. ricepad. I now think I AM you!

(Strategies to avoid food waste is probably worthy of a separate thread all by itself!)

1 Like

Then you need to stop cruising around online and finish folding the laundry!

3 Likes

If I know its going to be an easy day, and I won’t have many pots, pans or dishes. I’ll serve the meal on paper plates.

Recently, I reheated some (homemade) pizza for dinner. I served it on paper plates, thus no dishes to do.

Perhaps instead of rinsing the dishes before loading, just run the dishwasher daily. That is what I do even though it is not full. New dishwashers only use 4 - 6 gallons of water per wash; this may be less than you are using when rinsing.

2 Likes

Noted, thank you.

I think there is one; that is my blessing and curse. In addition to @small_h 's

horror of wasting food, which somehow leads to me buying more food

…I have a horror of feeding dodgy food to others, adding to pollution by throwing food and plastic in the landfill, and wasting water, so I torment myself by building a meal around a dodgy jalapeno , then carefully scraping the uneaten food into an indoor food-waste bin, and rinsing the container it was in with precious water, before putting it in the recycling bin.

2 Likes

[back from folding laundry]

Of course I should have expected there are extant threads on food waste! I’m generally not too concerned about feeding dodgy food to others, mostly because I try to stay on top of things that are on the verge of turning, but also because I live in one of Sam’s (RIP) Magic Houses.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about those soap filled sponge wands. While you are rinsing the dishes, just a quick wipe with one of these.
In theory, the soap should kill the bacteria, thus no odor.
Dish sponge with soap dispenser

We have a bosch and it is very water efficient as well as cleaning very well. It stands open a lot of the day in our house so maybe funkiness doesnt build up to the same degree. Some foods (especially fish) are stinkier than others. But xtreme prewashing is not the answer.you have to leave dirt on the dishes or the sensors dont work right - and you might as well not use the dishwasher. So if its not a problem with the filter and you cant get answers from the manufacturer, I would simply run the machine more often. Thats a lot more water saving than hand washing.

2 Likes

Several votes for running it more often!

It may also just have a more air tight gasket than your previous one, so it keeps the off smells in better until you open the dishwasher. If they truly are intolerable, then running it every day (using the half load function if needed) or every other day is going to be more water efficient that frequent rinsing or hand washing. Also, as @JenKalb pointed out, you do need some gunk on your dishes for the sensors in these newer machines to function properly, especially if you are using the “auto” function when washing (versus choosing “light” or “heavy” or whatever for the amount of soil).

The difference is the trash can gets emptied (and the liner replaced) regularly. The DW gets a rinse, but its screen and drain can become a digester.

Again, it is not the dishwasher screen and drain can. The dishwasher is brand new. It is the food on the dishes in the dishwasher. The empty dishwasher smells fine.

Yes. I can remember a phase when one of the dishwashing soap companies was running an ad saying that.

L et me just add that we found that In New York’s very soft water, the amount of cleaner in the dishwasher tablets was too high and the dishes were over cleaned with some glassware, winding up with residue or even damaged. So we buy the kind that can be cut in half (used to be a quarter dose but thats too painful with the ball on top. We have not adopted laundry tabs for the same reason, that the dosing is excessive. A real annoying way for the companies to sell more product than you need!

1 Like

I wish finish powder was more easily available near me. That’s what we use at my mom’s, and it’s a lot better outcome when you can vary the amount for old size vs having to stick in a whole tablet.

1 Like

I think Cascade has an ad running now that says to run partial loads daily because “it uses less water than washing by hand.”

I’m remembering one with Chef Gregory Gourdet of Top Chef about running your machine saving water even when it’s not full, but the one I’ve seen most recently didn’t seem to be saying that anymore.

The newer one suggests it still works great, even without the rinse, after 24 hours.

Found one. There are several in the campaign.

yes the powder worked tho a bit messy. We used to have tabs we cut in 4. Now, with the rise of the liquid filled tabs, we are limited to the finish powerball tabs we cut the in half. with a cleaver or much better my garden pruners which go through the ball and detergent cake like butter.