Steak Myths

We had blueberry shrubs in our yard around the pine trees and they also grew out on the islands at a nearby pond. Definitely were tart, rather than sweet (they would get just sweet enough eventually…if the birds hadn’t eaten them by then). Tiny too, versus farmed, iirc.

3 Likes

It may depend a lot on the soil and rain conditions. I have several blueberry bushes on my property, essentially wild (but in the last few years producing little due to too much shade, but now I’ve had the trees trimmed and hoping for better next July!) and they’re quite sweet.

2 Likes

Wild Maine blueberries are SO good! Tiny, and a nice tart blueberry flavor.

2 Likes

I equate more corn to more fat. Fat is flavor. But it also ups the hanging weight.

Pines and blues are best buds. If you don’t pines, you can collect needles as a mulch for your plants and they’ll produce.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind if I find myself in a position to have property that has blueberry bushes again :slight_smile:

Gorging on wild blueberries in Maine, oh yes! Blueberries and pines.

For good results with a run of the mill steak: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBZB113U7c

Grown folks video!

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. I’ve never thought of cooking fries from cold like that. I’ve always been told that if the oil is too cold it’ll soak in to the potato. But his looked just fine when they came out, not soggy. Also interesting that his max temp on the fries frying was only 320°F.

Same thing with deep frying the steak - never tried it, but heck why not? Next time I’m deep frying potatoes I think I’ll give both his methods a shot.

Looks like Costco steak, by the way (although I think he referred to it as “a really cheap, horrible steak”, LoL). But that interior texture with the rough appearing striations is what you see with mechanically tenderized/micro-needled steaks.

ATK/CI came out with a cold-start recipe/method for fries a while back and I’ve done it a few times since - they turn out great, but you are limited to one batch since your oil is hot at the end of cooking. Perfect for cooking for two, though, and deep frying a steak in the hot oil afterwards is a great trick I hadn’t thought of!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m going to go cold all the way through next time. My only logistical issue might be: what if I need two batches?

Deep frying steak works.

1 Like

Use two Dutch ovens, or keep the first batch warm in the oven while either replacing the oil and starting over, or cooling it down first before the second batch. I imagine the beefy oil would provide great flavor to the second batch. Then toss the potato batches together before serving. Cool the oil by setting a 1-qt. metal pot containing ice into the hot oil.

1 Like

Could well be a Costco steak as he has often mentioned using groceries from Costco. I discovered that channel earlier in the summer and now watch often. Glen is knowledgeable but never supercilious, explains and demonstrates well, and is generally very open-minded. I also like the couple’s obvious respect for each other’s opinions and quirks.

2 Likes

Good idea, especially the beef oil.

1 Like