Staub Basix, Fontignac, and other OEMs

If you’ve been looking for Dutch Ovens from the Le Creuset search on EBAY, you will come upon vintage looking ECI pieces made in France that lack any manufacturer’s ID. There’s a good chance those are Staub Basix (or more recently Fontignac)–alternative names used to separate two completely different styles of product made by Staub. Classic Staub pieces have unique exterior and interior finishes and lid–all seemingly more expensive to manufacture. Staub is also an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for “Basix” and “Fontignac” product lines (I think) and uses a more traditional, less costly production approach–allowing them to be much more cost competitive against Le Creuset and Chasseur. A complete product line based on an older name Fontignac has recently sprung up that sells a range of products:

http://www.fontignaccollection.com/en/products/

In the United States, Staub OEM products keep appearing with new names: Basix, Basix II, Staub Elite, Fontignac, Fontignac Fleur, Kirkland, Zwilling . . . .

About 1 1/2 years ago, I purchased a vintage Le Creuset lookalikes (26 cm–5 1/2 qt.) in gradated yellow–just like Le Creuset soliel. It was clearly a Staub Basix, but it had no identifying paperwork. It has a completely flat base that seemed to promise good connectivity with my induction unit. I immediately fitted it with my classic Staub steamer insert, and it has been a flawless workhorse ever since. A bit later, I purchased two “old fashioned” looking Basix gradated yellow 8 oz mini cocottes–this time with “wings” and the Staub matte black interior.

Last week, I received an 18 cm 1 1/2 qt. gradated yellow Basix (purchased on EBAY auction) with accompanying literature–listing a home address as Basix Cast Iron, Long Beach, California. I’ve been able to compare it, side by side, with similar sized Le Creuset and Staub Cocottes. I’m having great difficulty noticing any meaningful difference in quality between my Basix and either the Staub or Le Creuset products–and–my gradated yellow Basix Dutch Ovens look like they should have been made by Le Creuset.

Does anyone have any practical experience with any Staub OEM products (Basix, Basix II, Staub Elite, Fontignac, Kirkland, Zwilling, or?), either here or in Europe, or more knowledge about Staub OEMs? I’ve had zero luck getting much more information so far. Especially from someone familiar with the European marketplace. I’d love to learn more.

Ray

Ray, I just noticed your post. At least 15 years ago, at HomeGoods, I bought a couple of enameled cast iron casseroles branded Nomar and manufactured by Staub. There were lots of them available, so I think Staub must have been closing out the Nomar-branded stock. My pieces are comparable in appearance and heft to the Fontignac casseroles that Bed Bath and Beyond carries, except that the Nomar interiors are matte black instead of glossy beige. As far as I can tell, there’s no difference in functionality between my Nomar casseroles and my Le Creuset ones. I did notice that on the Nomar (and Fontignac) pieces, compared to the Le Creuset ones, the walls of the pot join the bottoms at a sharper angle, but that’s not an issue for me. I don’t know if this adds anything you didn’t already know, but I can certainly validate your own observations!

Hi MissPriss,

It’s about the same for Basix, except the interior is glossy beige-but the same sharp angle. I treat my Basix pots as if they are Le Creuset–but I use my 3 qt. Staub steamer insert on the 5.5 qt.

My two 8 oz. Basix yellow cocottes, inexplicably, have the Staub black interior, but wings instead of handles. I love the contrast with my regular Staub basil and grenadine mini’s.

I hope we can get some more reports from others.

Ray

I came across this when searching for some historical information about the Nomar brand. I’ve been a cookware collector for many years and a very dedicated ECI collector for about 2 years now with the focus on Staub. Through my experience and that of others mostly and quite active Facebook groups, we’ve really been able to tease out a little bit more information about some of the different lines that Staub produced. Is this still an active discussion?

It is now!
:slight_smile:
Welcome.
Lots of cookware geeks here.

Staub has only been making ECI since 1974.

Do you collect any different or earlier ECI? Descoware? Cousances? Druware? The early American attempts by Wagner and Vollrath?

Ordering enameled cast iron cookware in France used to be like ordering aluminum foil, it just existed.

If you’re trying to attach a ‘brand name’ to it all then good luck, but you are wasting your time.