Starbucks.....WTF??

I’m a die hard Dunkin donuts coffee fan, let me get that out of the way upfront. I have some time to kill between appointments and I spotted a Starbucks, comfrotable cup of coffee maybe free wifi, why not!?!?

Well I seriously just waited 12+ minutes for a cup of black coffee. I will admit it’s an iced coffee, but no they weren’t waiting for the water to freeze, they have a big full bucket of ice in plain sight.

Seriously Starbucks, WTF???

1 Like

Jr . I’m sure you will be stopping in again . Sarcasm .

3 Likes

So we’re trashing Starbucks for having too much business? Or not enough help? Or help being too slow? Or too small a prep area? Or just because??? ;o))))

Well since you asked, I did do a micro study of the operation as I stood there motionless in awe of the complete absurdity of the operation.

There were 3 employees working and a steady flow of customers but no line at the register at any given time. The barista(?) just seemed to move at his own pace, either unaware of or just indifferent to the line of empty cups in font of him.

The 3rd employee was “cleaning” which consisted of spraying the floor with a copious amount of cleaning fluid, from a hand held bottle. This was followed up by a quick mop over then repeat. I’m not sure what their normal biz model requires but either of the other 2 employees could have assisted the barista but never did and he job moped around.

I’ve been to countless DD’s and they have moving people in and out to a quick and efficient science!

1 Like

I’m sure the smell of cleaning fluid really enhanced the experience. :frowning:

1 Like

Well… Starbucks IS an artisanal coffee purveyor, so the “barista” needs to be in the right plane to get your coffee right. DD is for people in a hurry, who just want “a regular”. ;o)))))))))

1 Like

Umm . What is the right plane ? :upside_down:

1 Like

No idea. It just sounded right.

3 Likes

I generally avoid Starbucks - the coffee at Costa tastes so much nicer. But, sometimes, you just can’t avoid them. As last week, when we stopped at a motorway services. The franchise there was Starbucks, so it was Hobson’s Choice.

Now, truth be told, we had no delay. Straight up the counter, ordered - two flat white, please, and a slice of millionaire’s shortbread - staff got straight on it. However, that was the luck of the draw. While we were sat there drinking, the queue built up to 15 people - folk were setting up overnight tents, forming longterm relationships, someone died of boredom. Maybe they are still there.

6 Likes

I do also, mostly because I rarely buy coffee by itself, and Starbucksis overpriced. For example, if I’m in McDonald’s and getting a burger, then I might get coffee.

But Mark gets Starbucks cards from his students at holiday time, so we really need to convince ourselves that keeping a gift card balance makes less sense than buying expensive coffee/hot chocolate/snacks with it. :slight_smile:

If there is one area I had to point to that McDonald’s made significant strides in the past 5 years it’s their coffee. Their coffee had traditionally been “ok”, it was there if you wanted it with your breakfast, but whenever they started this “McCafe” concept (I would say the past 5± years) they have stepped their coffee game up big time. I’m not talking any “fancy” drinks, I mean just a straight dam cup of black coffee is dam good at Mc Donalds. (and they have all those other fancy drinks)

1 Like

Remember there was a Seinfeld episode when Jerry says that people don’t really like chips and salsa - they just like saying “salsa”?
Starbucks is something like that. People like saying “grande”, “venti”, “half caff”, “no whip” and “cappucino” and having to wait 12 minutes makes it even more special (so I think they make you wait - even for black coffee so you can feel “special” too)

2 Likes

I don’t understand the concept of regularly getting coffee from a shop. :confused:

2 Likes

Well looks like I fooled them!! Little did they know just how “special” I already am!

You have probably not had a job which kept you on the road, traveling several days a week. I have yet to find a good coffee maker for my car!

1 Like

Starbucks is not just for coffee for many of us - it is our office away from home. I’ve had more meetings in Starbucks than my office!

1 Like

( I prefer Panera Bread for meetings…free refill’s!!!)

1 Like

Good points that I hadn’t thought of. I have a couple of friends that go there just for coffee and personally I can’t see shelling out money multiple times per day when you can make it at home or in a stationary office.

I can tell you just about every DD & luxury hotel and / or high end department store in my state. DD for the obvious coffee, the luxury hotels and high end department stores? The cleanest / nicest bathrooms!!

2 Likes

Which you need after all the coffee! :smirk:

1 Like