Stand Mixer: Cuisinart v. KitchenAid

We used forums to diagnose our tankless water heater problem, order the replacement part, and install it ourselves YouTube. My husband uses it for camping trailer upgrades and repair. I consult YouTube for dishwasher and other appliance issues.

3 Likes

Same here with the camper thing. Had a few things go crazy over the years and fixed them ourselves.

1 Like

Really simple fix…

And if you’re more industrious…

1 Like

Thanks Scott. I’ll give shimming (first vid) a try but I’m doubtful - I don’t know if you saw but in another thread I commented that even a dime and quarter stuck together fail (but 2 quarters pass), so there’s a lot of clearance to delete. Maybe the bowl will still lock into place with roughly 3 mm thick shims. I’ll find out. What I have done before is popped the bowl off the arms and held it up manually. This doesn’t work with the spatula because I kept causing it to bottom out, but it worked okay with the hook. But it also made me nervous.

The second video I think you’ve posted before (I know I’ve seen it before and pretty sure a HO brought it to my attention). Pretty good solution, but more work than I want to attempt right now when my more typical “on the fly” remedy works okay - I just poke around the sides with a silicone spatula (avoiding the moving paddle or hook) knocking the ingredients down until they get mixed in.

Maybe go from the bottom. The bowl locating pins are friction fit and have a step in them just above what fits into the arm hole. Remove them, add a washer (indicated in red) and reinsert.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest the Swedish Ankarsrum. I used a Kitchenaid for years, made in the days when Kitchenaid was still good, but it can’t compare to the Ankarsrum. For example, the Kitchenaid can make bread dough with one kilo of flour. The Ankarsrum can take 3 kilos. I have never made bread with more than 2 kilos, but I do that all the time. With the Ankarsrum the bowl turns, not the beater, so the result is closer to hand kneading. I didn’t buy any of the attachments, so I can’t comment on them. But a friend of ours did, and she is happy with them.

2 Likes

That looks lovely and way out of my price range.

1 Like

Don’t remember what I paid, but I’m extremely pleased with it.

1 Like

Sounds like a dream

1 Like

I apologize as I may have missed it, but which one did you get?

The sale on the KA is over, right?

I love it.

People who bake a lot of bread, especially large batches, sing the praises of the Ankarsrum.

I asked on a message board for mixer owners how they liked it for cakes, cookies and pastry.

I was told that the mixer bowl for sweets is made of plastic. For this reason, I’m sticking with KitchenAid.

1 Like

I think that if most of what you use it for is large batches of bread, both the Braun and Ankarsrum do a better job.

But I use mine just as often (or even more) for shredding meats, mixing both large and small batches of ingredients for chili/falafel/fillings/sauces/dips/etc., mashing veggies, and more… and while I have never used the Ankarsrum, I have used the Braun and found it rather finicky (plus way too many plastic/fragile parts).

Obviously you gotta do what is best for you, but for me the KA is most versatile for what I do.

1 Like

I saw a Cuisinart box arrive today that I wasn’t supposed to know about :blush:. Birthday soon.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!

Are you now finally legally allowed to drink?

3 Likes

Plus about 20 years. Ha :rofl:

2 Likes

Very nice to know a mind reader! Happy imminent birthday. My wife’s is also imminent, and she will be receiving a kitchen item (and something else). It reminds me of the kid getting his mom a catcher’s mitt.

3 Likes

30 years from now, someone on HO will buy this at a thrift shop and say, “You see! In the good old days, they made things with quality. No one makes a mixer like Ankarsrum anymore”

But little do they realize that back in the good old days, the Ankarsrum was something like 2-3x the price of a typical mixer back in the “good old days”.

Sigh.

4 Likes

My grandfather gave my grandmother a Jeep for her birthday…in the 1960s…a real Jeep with no roof. For him to drive around their “farm” in the country outside Raleigh, NC. My grandmother was not pleased. My grandfather loved his Jeep.

4 Likes

Never gift your wife a vacuum cleaner!

If I buy a gift for someone that I really want for myself, I just buy one for me, too.

3 Likes