Stadium hot dogs

It will be interesting, but the problem with this that I see is that it is so very easy now to find good quality natural casing dogs, even in regular markets. Then, it is additionally easy to throw them in a cast iron and make your own good quality dog. I almost always have everything needed already, except the buns.

I find if I am eating any skinless dog I am disappointed.

1 Like

But you have to admit, we don’t have much of a hot dog culture in the West, and even less so in the PNW. So any fast food menu additions I would try. :slight_smile:

Yes, I do agree. I have had to kind of be my own expert for hot dogs and that has lead me to just make rather than buy because there is not much here. I recall a poster on Chowhound named “Hotdoglover” I think was his handle. Dude, had some epic posts and information about hot dogs. I remember reading those over 10 years ago.

I too will try it, I just like the natural casing now. I would fry up a brat or another type of sausage before I would make a skinless dog.

1 Like

That’s John Fox. I invited him here and he’s posted a few times, but not recently. He mainly hangs out on the Hot Dog Nation Page on FB.
We have Taylor’s Sausages down here and they’re wonderful, but I’m unsure how far afield they distribute.

1 Like

I’m not trying to derail this thread, honest, but I’ve got to share my observation of what I consider to be an inedible hot dog. The brand is Sugardale. Widely available in Ohio. I tasted one at the Cleveland Indians ballpark while on an MLB Stadium tour a few years ago. One bite, and the rest of that $4 dog went into the trash.

Best hot dog I sampled on that tour? A Nathan’s at the NY Mets Stadium. Second best? A Sabrett dirty water dog from a street cart outside New Yankee Stadium.

Detroit stadiums don’t measure up either…

Derail away. :slight_smile:
I don’t think (most) MLB Stadiums offer up gourmet or even just tasty dogs. They can serve the crappiest hot dogs and people will still buy them. That’s as far as the regular offerings go since the new trend in ballparks seems to be outrageous concoctions of all stripes.

1 Like

Just one more personal experience, bbqboy, then I’ll hope the thread can return to BK fare.

A couple of decades ago, when our kids were 12 and under, our church decided to “volunteer” to man a food stand at an arena that was the home of Detroit’s pro basketball team. Kicker was that our group would share in the nights profits for all items rung up in our stand.

The Security Nazis (yes they had them decades ago) ran us through the food service routines. Clip your nails. Wash your hands. Use plastic disposable gloves to handle the food. Designate which three volunteers would man the registers…

Issued a WARNING: any register shortages would be counted against the “earnings” we achieved for the game. Okay. We’re ready…

20 minutes before doors opened to the fans, a food service manager appeared and pulled four boats of hotdogs from the reefers behind the stand. About 300 hotdogs that were already cooked–but not sold at the last home game before this one! Sickened me.

1 Like

Another stadium tour guy (scholar and gentleman your are) ! We understand many generic arena menus are a product of the corporate food service vendor – Aramark and Levy come to mind. Somehow some local flavors seep in – like Boog Powell’s at Camden Yards, etc. The souvenir from our only trip to Miller Park was a jar of the Secret Stadium Sauce served there; we just started a web search and came up with the tidbits that the Brewers encased meat suppliers are now Hebrew National and Johnsonville.

2 Likes

Nice post. Thank you.

We did the Boog Powell eats at Camden Yards. Spent a whole lot of time on the Plaza searching out home run landing. Great park.

2 Likes

Sorry to report that at our first Baltimore ballgame at the old stadium, the crab cake was nearly petrified. Nearby the night before, the Reading Phillies funnel cake concession was memorable.

1 Like

Boog’s is great.

All Sugardale products suck not just the hot dogs.

Hot dogs always taste best at a ballgame.

Best hot dogs are Berks Hostess made in Berks County PA (Reading).

2 Likes

I found “Victorias” NY style onion relish. Never had it. I haven’t opened it yet because I need some natural casing dogs which I will buy tomorrow. Anyone had it? Is it any good? It doesn’t look particularly good from the outside of the jar.

1 Like

Victoria makes an extensive line of pickled foods & condiments. What I have eaten has been pretty good.

They are rather bland to me. For easy to find store bought brands, sabretts are better in my eyes.

Victoria tomato sauce is top notch in my book.

I feel a @jcostiones ballpark story coming up

Formulating.

3 Likes

Popcorn is ready!

1 Like

Nothing I will describe as epic but lots of great memories.

Food, I had a Dodger Dog, a grilled sausage at the big A in Anaheim, really good burgers in some sort of sauce at the Astrodome in the 60s, and hot ham sandwiches behind home plate at the Dome. All delicious.

Where to start??

1964 and the final game at Colt .45 stadium. Bob Bruce went twelve innings while Don Drysdale of the Dodgers punked out and only went eleven giving it up to Ron Perranoski to absorb the 1-0 loss in the bottom of the twelve. They let us kids run around the field after the game.

Fast forward a bit and I saw Willie Mays park one at least 450 feet into the tunnel in dead center field and Juan Marichal dominate in a shutout. The Giants owned the Astros.

Mid 70s and a couple of concerts in the middle of July in the middle of the day at the Houston Cougar college football stadium. Genius. Hot can’t even describe it but we were too young and dumb to know better.

We were used to the heat back then now they shut down the schools if the a/c goes out.

Acts included The Eagles, Crosby Stills and Nash, both killed it, plus the Allman Brother Band, post Duane and the Beach Boys.

1 Like

@jcostiones

Nice. I grew up in LA and spent many a day/night in the left field bleachers at Dodger stadium. I am a few years ahead of you. My LA infield was Garvey, Lopes, Russell & Cey. I enjoyed many a Dodger Dog & peanuts. Those peanut dudes used to throw the bags a mile. Probably cant do that anymore due to the litigious society we have become.

I went to Jack Murphy (saw the Dodgers v. Padres), also went to Candlestick (saw the Dodgers v. Giants). Neither of these stadiums exist anymore. I also saw the Dodgers in St. Louis.

The only real food I recall is the Dodger Dog, peanuts and ice cream at Dodger stadium. I was a kid.

There was some talk that the Dodger Dog was a natural casing dog in those days. I cant recall if it was, but I know it seemed much better as a kid, then it was as an adult. Perhaps just a longing for the old days.

I have been to both new SD & SF stadiums and I wasn’t concentrating on the food.

Thanks for the memories.

PS: After a Dodger game as a kid we often went to some Mexican restaurant in LA and got a massive burrito. Cant recall the exact name but El Tipiac [sic] is what I recall.

1 Like

I knew you had one up your sleeve! :smile: If only you had a cell phone back then and we could relive some of these moments. Always a pleasure to hear your stories!

1 Like

Part 2 just to drive not doobs crazy.

The Dome late 70’s and beyond.

Seven of us had Oilers season tickets and we were there the night Luv Ya Blue was born with Earl Campbell going off for 199 yards and 4 touch downs the last an 80 yarder driving a dagger into Don Shula’s heart and his fellow fish.

At halftime we would “sample” herbs on the ramps until the fuzz finally figured it out and we ceased. One night someone brought brownies for dessert and just after halftime we were all hit by sledgehammers.

Restrooms? They had these long metal troughs and one night I spied a dollar bill in one. After a couple of hundred more beers I came back and it was gone. Some poor vendor got a dollar soaked in… One night I caught my ex coming out of the men’s room but I couldn’t blame her as the lady’s were tiny with a perpetual line out the door.

My pre-game meal was always a hot ham on rye from the deli.

They had a thing called a foamer back in the day where if an Astro hit a home run on an even minute it was free beer the rest of the game. The 'Stros weren’t exactly sluggers back then and combined with the cavernous Astrodome it rarely happened.

They expanded it to striking out an opponent and one night Richie Hebner of the Pirates whiffed in the top of the first and with a small crowd it was on.

We carried out multiple beers, this couldn’t happen today.

1 Like