Spring 2021 (Apr-June) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

Looks like we are back to the polls.

My choices are Moroccan or Greek …

Separate ideas:

SCANDANAVIAN

PACIFIC ISLANDS

CARIBBEAN ISLANDS (LEEWARD AND WINDWARD ISLANDS)

GERMAN

AMERICAN SOUTH

HALAL AND KOSHER (COMPARE AND CONTRAST)

I reserve the right to recycle nominations in future quarters. grin

2 Likes

Dave, would you mind narrowing your list down to one or two? Too many nominations makes the voting process a mess. We actually already covered German a while back so that is an easy one to eliminate :slight_smile:

Sure - I didn’t intend to make a mess. I can see where too many choices would be disruptive. I got on a roll.

How about SCANDANAVIAN (I have a recipe for lutefisk) as a geographic nomination and HALAL AND KOSHER as a cultural one. If there are too many nominations you have my proxy to just pick one of mine to help keep things manageable.

I did look through the master list but missed German. I’ll have to dig that thread out.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! Scandinavian was a close runner up a few quarters back so I’m guessing it will get some traction!

Definitely Greek.

2nd: Moroccan …

1 Like

What do you reckon American South cuisine to be?
Seems fairly obtuse, both geographically and culturally.

Good question. First I think a little vagueness makes things interesting. For me however, American South starts with biscuits and gravy. Both could engender major discussions of their own. Hams. Big breakfasts. Collard greens. Black-eyed peas (and the New Years tradition). Seafood boils along the Gulf Coast. Way too much fried food. grin Creole. Barbecue of course should be its own discussion.

So soul food with an updated definition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which leads to the question of “what is soul food?” I suggest that such questions bring some of our threads alive.

I’m not against this. You separated southern foods from bbq, which is the correct call.
The farther away from the “heritage” the more the cuisines become combined, unfairly in my estimation.
I always maintained KC holds the distinction of being the westernmost and northernmost Southern city.
:slight_smile:

As I’ve posted before, I defer to you on matters of barbecue. From my perspective as an observer there is so much more to barbecue than the South. There do seem to be geographic imperatives. I do think it would be an interested thread. I’m not sure HO has enough real advocates to sustain a quarter of real contributions. Certainly all I have to offer are questions. I hope they would be good questions.

1 Like

Scandinavian or
Greek

…2 recent cookbook additions to my library that I would like to explore!

1 Like

Greek

Do tell @poptart, what the new cookbooks are please!

Hi Lambchop!

These two (but I do have other Greek and Scandinavian books :blush:). will try to upload image of book covers below.

My Greek Table by Diane Kochilas ;
Also, Lagom by Steffi Knowles-Dellmer

1 Like

Fantastic @poptart - love Diane Kochilas and have a couple of her books, but not that one. She is a trusted source though. The Scandinavian book looks interesting too. Enjoy! Thanks for posting you new books. As you know I’m a cookbook geek…

I know voting is over, but maybe next time if someone wants southern food maybe narrow it down to a region or style. Example - Lowcountry cooking? There’s lotsa fun info on it.

1 Like

Voting thread is up - thanks HOs for your nominations! Come vote! Spring (Apr-June) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

1 Like