Spicy nacho cheese sauce

I want to make it a bit thicker than a standard Mornay, kind of a cross between a sauce and a dip.

I have a thick dip recipe, but I want some advice about a few processes. It calls for 1 Cup Whole Milk, .5 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded, 1 Cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded, 1/2 Cup Sour Cream. I’ve seen variations on the amounts of all those ingredients. I understand that may be due to the desired consistency.

For the basic roux, is it 2 tbl butter+ 2 tbl flour, 2 cup milk, 2 cups cheese. If I were to double the volume of cheese and milk, would the amounts of butter and flour be the same. I can always use more cheese to thicken things up, right?

You might want to rethink starting off with a Bechamel for your cheese sauce. The following article goes into great detail…

4 Likes

Just as is in the article you posted, I have read so many times that sodium citrate/citric acid/“sour salt” is THE key to getting the right consistency to the sauce that I can’t even begin to think of making the sauce without it!

It’s not a difficult ingredient to find and doesn’t spoil. In addition, I think it’s useful for other recipes (including my Nana Pauline’s stuffed cabbage) and can be helpful for people like me who sometimes suffer from kidney stones…it can help dissolve them if you add a bit of it to drinking water!

1 Like

Really?? I’m going to have to get some. Kidney stones are so much fun. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yes, and cheddar is the cheese to use for that.

This is just one of MANY links which talk about the benefits of citric acid for those who suffer from formation of kidney stones. They are sooo painful!

I wasn’t sure whether those are the same and turns out, they are different. To save anyone else from googling: https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-sodium-citrate-and-citric-acid

1 Like

Thank you…until reading that, I had always (apparently mistakenly!) assumed they were the same!

1 Like

Reading through a Serious Eats article/recipe makes my eyes glaze over.

Surprisingly, the last time (I’ve had them three times) I passed a kidney stone it was painless, and it was fairly large (about a quarter of an inch). The first two times, though, were excruciating. I could post a pic of the last stone, but since this is Hungry Onion and not Passing Onion, I won’t.

1 Like

I read the article. Since don’t have any evaporated milk, I took a few hints and winged it.

I used milk (12 oz) combined with cream cheese (4 oz,), 2 cup cheddar cheese, sauteed minced onion and 2 jalapenos, 2 level tbls corstarch, and some dehydrated pickled jalapenos and onions, a bit of cheese powder. and and1 tbl jalapeno vinegar.

It came out pretty good. I could identify from my past with the article about the effect of the cheese consistency “seizing up”, in terms of not achieving a silky creaminess, and maybe a hint of graininess at times.

I’'m gonna attribute that, at least in part, to the cornstarch. I’ll be using that in the future in this mornay/bechamenl type of application. And you don’t have to bother with the roux. I’ll have to wait until it cools for the final verdict, but it looks better than my last batch with flour.

The only disclaimer would be is I was looking for a sauce/dip, so I wanted it thick, and that looks like what I’m gonna have after it rests. I used double the cornstarch recommended by the article to achieve that, and I also has twice the milk product and cheese.

@ScottinPollock

Thanks for the recipe. Can you tell me why one of the steps is “cheese grated on large holes of a box grater”?

Is it about more efficiently incorporating the cornstarch? I was lazy…used the food processor.

I’m still a bit confused. I have some kosher sour salt. Never used it. Citric acid is sour salt?

If your FP has a grating disk it should be fine. But if you’re just nuking the cheese with a blade I think grating it and mixing in the cornstarch will work better.

1 Like

Yes, it is.

It never occurred to me I could make my own condensed milk. Wish I knew sooner. I had the milk. I’ll definitely be using this.

How to Make Evaporated Milk | Bold Baking Basics

I made the evaporated milk. I reduced by half in two batches. the first in regular a non-stick pot, the second in a thick bottom stainless.

It came out much sweeter than I expected. I’m thinking that was at least in part because It took longer to reduce than expected in the non-stick. It didn’t manage the heat well and I had to keep it low to prevent it from bubbling.

I’d also like opinions on whether you would use sharp cheddar in this sort of application. I have read and experienced that it doesn’t melt smoothly for these types of applications, sauces, etc., but the Serious Eats recipes says it will “prevent your cheese from breaking into curds”, and uses extra-sharp cheddar cheese.