Spicy Chili Crisp Sauce Recipe from Serious Eats

I don’t have a dehydrator so I used my oven on the proof setting. It took a little longer than a dehydrator would have but worked great!

As for the chiles, you are correct - the pasilla and guajillo give great fruity chile flavor but of course no/minimal heat. My last bag of Facing Heaven chiles were much hotter than my current bag, too. I’ll have to add something spicier to the blend next time. The dundicuts I used last time were quite hot and would have been perfect but I ran out. I think the lower spice level is good for gifting, though - I don’t want to blow anyone’s mind or palate! :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

its looks great

In the spirit of discussing any chili crisp (not just the SE version), here’s the one I made today (and make frequently) based on the NYT recipe. While I have, in the past, taken this to a very dark color - almost but not quite scorched - I find I’m most interested in obtaining the crisp, and less concerned about the color. At first sample, this one is right where I want it. If, after a few days I decide to add more crunch, I’ve found I can put it back over the burner and take it a bit further. I am of the camp of adding a little MSG.

This was made with repurposed chili flakes after making chili oil. After 3 months in oil, the flakes still retained plenty of heat for reuse. Waste not, want not.

5 Likes