Spice, change is gonna come

Nice to see you back on the forum. I look forward to following your growing experience.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few post here that mention Montreal steak seasoning. I looked it up, and the spice combinations vary a lot. Is there a canonical version?

Nope, regional versions, chef signature versions, etc. Even varies in the amt of one key ingred like dried garlic or onion.

1 Like

Yes @Rooster is correct. I really like the flavor profile of McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Seasoning Blend. Not too much caraway, just nicely balanced. I may not knowingly have tried any others.

For plain steaks I LOVE Penzey’s Chicago Seasoning, and I just can’t quit it!

1 Like
  • 2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (use less or omit if preferred)
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon dill seeds (ground)
3 Likes

Oh nice, and thank you @Auspicious! Love to make homemade blends.

I guess my next question is why Montreal?

1 Like

One place I read for answers.

3 Likes

The “reverse clickbait” from Epicurious worked on me. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks - I’ve never used Montreal steak spice, but now I know more than zero about it.

Personally, I love back stories like this. Always a surprise ending!

2 Likes

@Rooster my sib just discovered Diaspora… has been checking mail anxiously and daily since placing a big order :rofl:

Good stuff! Very fresh. Nice people too. Let me know what you think. I have this: https://www.diasporaco.com/collections/spices/products/copy-of-anamalai-nutmeg-mace

True confession: of all the warm spices, mace is my favorite.

1 Like

@Rooster the Diaspora stuff finally arrived!

Turmeric, mace, and cocoa.

Smells good - turmeric is almost as strong as the stuff my mom gets (hers is slightly darker and more intense).

Mace is lovely and fragrant. I use it rarely (there are only a couple of recipes we make that call for it) but I’m going to look up some new ideas.

Cocoa is also lovely - I think we will have hot chocolate tonight (and coincidentally, I ordered some “fancy” 6% milk yesterday to make yogurt, so that will work well.

I’ll report back!

1 Like

@Saregama. I baked these bialys in your honor and as my way of saying thank you for being a HO pal during my introduction to food forums. I won’t be returning to HO. It’s time for this Rooster to find another coop.
I wish you continued joy! Thxs for breaking bread !

7 Likes

Oh my @rooster - those are gorgeous!

Though I hope you will come back. Ups and downs happen.

7 Likes

I hope you’ll come back, too, @Rooster.

3 Likes

As do I @Rooster. Your comments and commentary will be missed.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’re leaving us, @Rooster. Maybe just take a break and return when you’re up to it? Your posts are always welcomed here.

4 Likes

I hope you do return. I’ve really enjoyed your posts, and your fearlessness in baking new items. And baking a half portion! That thought never crossed my mind!

5 Likes

We’ll sure miss you and your voice around this place, @Rooster. Grateful that we got to share good conversations with you.

I hope that wonderful meals continue to come your way!

3 Likes