Spice, change is gonna come

Yeah exactly. She lost more than half of it. Seeds are no use other than for planting which is not in high demand as you only need a very few new plants. It is a big loss as she has many trees left untouched. Maybe another 300 kgs of clove.
Cloves should be harvested when mature but the flowers are not open. That’s what gets the highest demand, and the highest weight. So there’s only about 1week max for harvesting at the best quality.
I’ve lost internet due to heavy rain during the last two days. I will post photos when I get my connection back.

1 Like

(For scale, this is enough to fill around eight or nine thousand of the little bottles of cloves that a lot of people might buy)

2 Likes

That’s fresh weight. Cloves dry at 3.5kg: 1kg ratio. Perfectly mature ones just before blooming goes to 3:1
So she lost around 100kg dry weight, still a lot of little bottles. Anyway no grower has access to that market.

3 Likes

Satellite?

from towers. 3g and 4g. current speed is 4kbps. lol. and that too is dropping every second.

At last I have internet. Ethan emailed me back and he seems to be a really cool guy. I emailed him just now with some photos. Understandably he needs much more than my 10 kgs, and I told him that I can get my neighbours’ produce too. And I mentioned that I got to know about the company from Rooster from Hungryonion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m out of my area this week. But jumped in to say that I hope you are able to connect further.

1 Like

@LastManStanding You might want to take a look at Diaspora and Spicewalla too. Diaspora is sourcing directly from small producers.

1 Like

@LastManStanding, not a bad idea.
https://www.diasporaco.com/pages/supply-chain

1 Like

I’ve only purchased one small tin of dried dill from Spicewalla, which was very high grade, but I have no idea how they curate.

Best of luck, @LastManStanding.

1 Like

@Saregama @Rooster Diaspora says they source from Indians which I am not. But I will email them too. Thanks for the info and link.

1 Like

I never even thought about it. Probably half of my spices were bought from different YouTube videos and TikToks.

1 Like

Rooster, thanks for the tip! Beautiful spices, I opened each jar and the aromas were intense.

5 Likes

!! That’s a nice grouping @Elsieb. I know you will make great use if those spices. I had the kelp on my cream cheese spread bagel for lunch.

1 Like

B&B didn’t communicate anymore. I sent them photos too but no other reply.
Coming is the avocado season. I might get at least 5000 fruits this season :slight_smile: Guessing from the flowers.
Meanwhile the tea plants are being pruned, so no tea for another 5 months at least.

6 Likes

Would love to see photos of that!

2 Likes

That’s disappointing. I’m wishing you good crops, and good prices at harvest time, which I guess is the best I can do from where I am.

3 Likes

I will post photos soon. Last few weeks I had no internet in my area. Came to another city for some work. Will be going back after a week. It was easy to come down here as there isn’t much work at home these days. Pepper season ended, and nothing much to do there.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Your words mean a lot.
Usually that’s the way, big companies don’t bother to initiate new transactions when they have enough supplies. That’s normal anywhere. The initial vision and mission usually give way for convenience and profit etc. lol.
However I’m planning to plant at least 100 new vanilla plants. Cleared a small plot for that, and all is ready for that once I go back home. And there’s another plot of around 10 perches earmarked for cinnamon. Things will be better for sure. I just need time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know the perch was in ordinary use there! I guess it’s still familiar to a lot of other readers as a pole or a rod, or if you haven’t used those, 1 perch is about 5 m on each side (5½ yards).