Speaking of rice, which ones do you eat?

I’d like to try the KRSS at least once, but so far, not enough to bring myself to pay what it would cost to buy it online and have it shipped. And even at “California local” prices, it would be rather expensive to use on a regular basis. But then I’m not huge fan of medium-grain rice in general. I do like it with some dishes, but for the most part I prefer long-grain rices anyway so it’s not one of the food-related things I tend to obsess over…:wink:

Anyone try all the varieties of CA rice? I’m a little curious on the Calhikari-201 varient

1 Like

I don’t eat white rice but if you adjust for time, the “pasta method” I learned for brown rice might work for you. Bring a big pot of salted (I don’t salt) water to a rolling boil, dump in the rice, stir a couple of times, then let boil uncovered for ten minutes less than the package instructions. Dump the pot through a sieve, flip the sieve over and knock the rice back into the hot, empy pot. Cover immediately, and let sit off heat for 10-15 minutes. The grains are tender and separate.

2 Likes

I think finding most of those “developmental/experimental”-type varieties for sale - labeled by variety - would be difficult outside of California, and probably even within CA but far from where they’re grown. I suspect that not all growers of them would want to publicly identified, but UC/Davis might be able to give you the names and contact info of some that are?

1 Like

Oh I’m around the bay area and have easy access to Davis/Sacramento region haha. I really should ask the UC Davis team.

2 Likes

And then tell me!

Ha will do.

Though I did just buy a bag of Kokuho Rose from a Japanese grocery store. https://www.kodafarms.com/our-branded-products/

Seemed like a nice medium grain rice, never realized there is an heirloom variety of it.

It is pricey but worth it.
On the other hand, you can buy the red kokuho rice red ( do not buy the yellow one ) but if you have Costco membership, they now sell the 25 lb bag cheaper than the Asian store. It cost

part of reply was lost
Costco’s red kokuho rice cost 23.99 which is cheaper than the asian stores.
I use my aroma rice cooker and use their measuring cup provided the advise is to use the lines etched on the interior of the cooker for water. In other words, if 6 cups is used ( the cup is different in size than an American measuring cup), use water to the 6 line. I cook rice once a week, wrap left overs in individual portion using Costco’s stretch -tite, then when I need rice, just pop the individual portions in microwave for 1 minute or 2. It comes out perfectly steamed as though it is newly cooked. Yesterday, the family of a Chinese Restaurant owner in Rockville came to visit. I cooked abalone with mushroom and bok choy as one of my main course. To my surprise, they commented that the rice is excellent.

3 Likes

Huh, I’m just curious if the one I bought is from the same place. I didn’t see red or yellow bag, mainly the guy’s face.

It was pretty much that bag, per the store it was this year’s new crop.

And yeah, I’m definitely following the instructions of my rice cooker. Sprung for a Zojirushi induction heating one and its working well so far (it better…)

1 Like

what you bought is the heirloom variety, more expensive.
What I have been using for at least 15 years is the Kokuho Rose ( not Kokuho yellow which is cheaper) purchased from Asian stores ( Lotte, H mart , Grand Mart) and presently at Costco.
I just spoke to Koda Farm to find the difference between the heirloom rose with the picture of Mr. Koda and the rose variety. (2093922191)
The heirloom variety is grown in Koda Farm in Central California whereas the one I am using, the Koda Rose ( I mistakenly called it red in the past) is cloned in in Northern California.
One more difference, there are 2 heirloom varieties, one is organic and one is not. Apparently yours is not organic, nor is the one I buy from the Asia stores. Take a look at this site, there are clearly 2 varieties. Both heirloom variety has a picture of Mr Koda but one is marked organic. I hope I did not confuse you. I now understand after so many yers of using it. I will stick with what I am using as it suits me fine.
Rice cookers come with a measuring cup and this is used exclusively for measuring dry rice (not water). If you’ve inadvertently misplaced your measuring cup, just remember it’s equivalent to 3/4 “American” standard cup. The inner cooking vessels have coordinating water proportion lines printed or embossed clearly indicating volume.
Go to this site. https://www.kodafarms.com/heirloom-kokuho-rose/

1 Like

Do you keep the cooked and wrapped rice in the fridge or freezer? How long do you reccommend in the fridge?

I don’t eat much rice but husband does, and he just declared the microwave packages I get for him " less than".

Oh I was referring to the taste difference between the heirloom variety and the regular red one you referred to. I thought the new crop one I had tasted pretty good, nice springy texture on the rice. I didn’t think the organic version justified the price versus regular.

And yeah, I’m just using the Zojirushi’s own measuring cup. But nice to know that info. In a way its kinda ingenious to use that method as it takes into account if the rice is wet or dry.

Anywho, the main reason why I popped into this thread is if I can find a good price substitute for that delicious rice I had at Benu. I presume they cooked Koshihikari rice but I don’t remember what the server stated.

I use aroma’s measuring cup and would cook 4-6 cups at a time. 4 cups when I am alone, 6 cups if my son is here and more if we have guest. Typically, that would last us a week, wrap in Costco’s stretch tite shortly after cooking, tossed into the fridge and popped in the microwave. But beware that rice has to be refrigerated and process shortly after it cools down.
Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. The spores can survive when rice is cooked. If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhea. I do not bring home rice left over from restaurants for that reason.
I have never had any problem in all the years I have been cooking and saving rice this way.
I had a message yesterday from Night07 re Kokuho Rose Rice yesterday. It is SPEAKING OF RICE, WHICH ONES DO Y OU EAT?
My son is worried about reheating our rice in plastic because of
The two components in plastics ( phthalates and bisphenol) that experts are most concerned may leach into the food .
I had researched into Costco’s 12X 3000 feet stretch tite and found it is BPA and phthalate free , microwavable. We use it extensively. However, they still recommend that it does not touch the food so for a while, my son would take the rice out of the wrapper, place it in a dish, microwave it but rice does not come out as soft as though it was freshly made so. he stopped doing that.
My two moms eat raw meat ( 24 and 28 gms) every morning and kibbles at night . They snack thruout the day . I wrap their raw meat in this stretch tite, then into freezer bags, take them out of freezer the night prior into the fridge. Then I microwave it under the lowest power for 1 minute so it is room temp for them. That 3000 feet of stretch tite last us at least 2 years!

1 Like

Hm? I usually just have whatever cheap long grain rice from Costco lol. I’m not particularly that picky for rice as I enjoy most.

Regarding the plasticizers, its suggested to use polyethylene bags for say sous vide cooking (aka ziploc) so that would apply to those plastic wraps (I can’t remember which episode of cookingissues that was discussed about plasticizers) but in any case, the polyethylene only cling wraps… aren’t very clingy.

I suggest maybe a wet paper towel on top of the microwavable bowl for your son if he desires that.

1 Like

So sorry that I am just reading all your helpful comments about rice
So, in a nutshell, when cooking rice, it would be beneficial for someone like me who is a type 2 diabetic to add a bit of fat ( coconut oil) during the cooking stage when water is boiling prior to adding rice as this increases resistant starch which are not converted to glucose or glycogen because of our lack of ability to digest them, so less calories.
Another added technique is to chill the rice in fridge before consuming
Since I use a rice cooker, I will have to measure my rice that I want to cook, start the rice cooker and add 3% by weight of coconut oil, then add my raw rice. Hmm wander what is the weight of 4 -6 cups of rice and how many tablespoonful of coconut oil to add?
One good thing is I cook 4-6 cups of rice, consume it and then I package the rest which are stored in fridge , popped into microwave prior to use
I will have to try this method as I love to eat rice with my chinese food but since becoming a type 2 diabetic in 2014, I have to be careful consuming rice nowadays.
Thanks

1 Like

well, I hope my calculation is correct
1 cup o f rice is 200 gms
4 cups of rice is 800 gms
1 tablespoon of coconut oil is 13 gms
3% of 300 gms is 24 gms
So two tablespoon of coconut oil for 4 cups if rice

6 cups of rice is 1200 gms
3% of 1200 gms =36 gms
So 3 tablespoon of coconut oil

I will cook 4 cups tomorrow , hope m8y calculation is correct

1 Like

@Nightt07
I cooked rice this morning using 4 cups in Aroma cooker, washed riced separately, when water came to boil added a little over 2 tablespoon of coconut, then when it melted added my rice. Bec part of the rice was still in my rinsing bowl, I added small amount of water to the bowl, then added the rice to the Aroma cooker. It turned out fragrant ( expected bec of coconut , I love the smell anyway) so I am leaving the cooked rice in the rice cooker to warm a bit so it will not be too mushy. I will try again next time but be careful not to add too much rice.

1 Like

Hmm if I’m not mistaken if you’re diabetic, you’re better off getting rice that has a high amylose to amylopectin ratio (long branching glucose molecules to short many branching glucose molecules). From what I recall, its due to the physical structure of amylose vs amylopectin that causes it to take a longer time to digest as well but don’t quote me on this. Using coconut oil is an interesting strategy, I didn’t think it would work like that. Huh, but doing this two set process is similar to parboiling right? I recall that helps with the way the starch is being digested in the body. One more random thought, would brown rice be better in this case as well, since you’d also have to digest through the bran of the rice?

I’m just checking your math… but isn’t

“3% of 300 gms is 24 gms”

Isn’t that actually 9 grams?

But overall that is a pretty neat trick. Though … would chicken fat be tastier… hahaha I’m thinking Hainan chicken rice…

2 Likes

You are correct, It is 9 gms.
So, I should only use less than 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, perhaps 2/3
Well, the rice turned out very fragrant and slightly mushy as I sued a little bu more water so I left it to warm up in the rice cooker for an extra hour .
I know brown rice would be better for me but brown rice does not work well in my rice cooker ( I have the aroma model that does not have the brown rice cooking selection, just porridge . I tried brown rice, but had to boil it for. along time it seems, and it does not keep well.
Anyway, I do not consume rice as much as I used to ( my husband rip had gluten enteropathy so I used a lot of rice when he was around. He also checks all my math as well
I do not like chicken fat. I remove every bit of fat from my chicken. I love duck fat though ( I was diagnosed with alpha gal syndrome October 2018 and so, cannot eat red meat from 4 legged animals with hoofs. I eat a lot of duck and chicken. Lots of sea food when my son is in town ( he is away till Feb 2020)
I also love coconut and am going to eat left over chicken adobo with coconut with my rice that is in the fridge ( cooked 4 cups last Saturday and still have 2 portions left) I also baked a chinese rice cake using glutinous rice flour with coconut, a twist from the traditional rice cake by using coconut and 2% milk.
Hainan chicken is a lot of work!!! I usually do not eat chicken skin unless it is barbecued and black or if it is a rotisserie chicken, I remove the skin and cook it in the oven till crisp!

3 Likes