SPANISH - Cuisine of the Quarter, Spring 2017 (Apr-Jun)

3 Likes

I take the probably pedantic view that tortilla with anything other than potato, onion and egg is frittata, not tortilla. Yours sounds a rich and tasty frittatta :grinning:

1 Like

I understand about being a purist as I tend to be one myself, but Spain does have variations on the traditional tortilla de patatas. Chorizo, spinach, courgettes, artichokes or mushrooms are perfectly acceptable additions. Even ham and cheese in the case of tortilla rellena.

During my short stint living in Barcelona there was a restaurant in Vila de Gracia that did endless variations on tortillas/truitas. I remember walking past the place and, because of French/Catalan language confusion, wondering why a restaurant would serve only a bunch of different versions of trout. Truita being Catalan for tortilla whilst truite is french for trout.

1 Like

My version is more a cross between the Spanish and the French one, since a tortilla should be dense like on your photo. As for the name, I just looked up 2 of my Spanish cook books, the version with potato, onion, olive oil and egg is called tortilla Española, and there are other tortilla recipes in both books with vegetables, shrimps, sardine and tuna. A version of ham and cheese, as @MonsieurGhislain has mentioned.

I also tried looking up on internet, fierce debate on the definition of tortilla and frittatta. Whatever this omelette is called, I will continue eating…

1 Like

I forgot cheese this time. My MIL has a spanish mother, it’s her recipe I’m using, I wonder the cream is added by her or it was the family recipe, I will ask her next time. She adds a lot of herbs.

Chicken with almond sauce. I omitted the clove. Very few things taste good with clove. Based on a recipe in the blue book “Spanish, regional cooking”. There are recipes on web, most are exactly the same or similar.

Ate it with bread.

The whole thing.

Chicken with tomatoes, from recipe in Mendel’s book.

Leftover pistachio picada was eaten with asparagus.

Intended to make tortillas but I think they turned out as frittatas. One egg to much in each and potatoes were in big chunks. Tasted good to us all the same.

This one has fried Speck, otherwise both have the same ingredients; potatoes, onions, eggs.

Normally I slip it under the grill to finish the top but something made me want to try flipping it for once. Big mistake. I broke it.

5 Likes

San Sebastian is a DREAM of a foodie city! If you go and want tips, hit me up. i was there twice in the last 2 years.

1 Like

biondanonima - that sounds and looks amazing! i’ll have to google that recipe.

Not sure if this was truly Spanish in origin, but my mother made a simple and delicious potato salad for Memorial Day weekend, and claims she knocked off the recipe from something she had at a Spanish restaurant (presumably patatas al alioli). It was basically just boiled potatoes in a VERY garlicky mayonnaise (raw garlic through a press mixed with Hellman’s in this case), with a bit of sour cream added for some additional tang. Salt and pepper and that was it. More than the sum of its parts, although personally I would probably add some chives or parsley at the very least for a bit of color if I were making it myself, and maybe just a touch of vinegar or lemon juice.

2 Likes

Entirely so.

Not that you really need a recipe for a garlicky potato salad but one appears as “patatas alioli” in Maria Jose Sevilla’s “Spain on a Plate”.

I’m more familiar with the Mallorcan ensaladilla - a more elaborate version that inlcudes other vegetables as well as the chopped potato and alioli. A version (non-garlicky) used to be a classic hors d’oeuvres in UK back in the 70s (and presumably earlier) when it was known as Russian Salad.

3 Likes

Patatas alioli is definitely Spanish and a nice find if you run into it on a tapas menu. Ensaladilla, which is shorthand for ensaladilla rusa, is absolutely everywhere, but I’ve never had it with aioli. Then again, I’ve never been to Mallorca.

1 Like

Tortilla de patata, adapted from an older tapas book i have. I made it thinner than usual, which made it easy to flip. also, gambas al ajillo with Spanish chorizo. i used a SE recipe and loved how it has you saute the shrimp shells with crushed garlic, and then use that oil to cook the shrimp in. i accidentally let the chorizo saute too long, it became chewy, but tasted good. this dish really needed crusty bread! i just sopped the juices up with the tortilla. green salad with a sherry vinegar/walnut oil vinaigrette.

9 Likes