Sour cream?

Absolutely. No comparison to real Greek yogurt made from whole sheep’s milk, with a fat content of10%, and flavor beyond compare @billstewart.

1 Like

I went to make tzatziki yesterday & after I prepped the cucumber, garlic & dill discovered I had bought strawberry greek yogurt. Bad language ensued.

5 Likes

Fruit on the bottom or pre-mixed?

I have found that self-induced surprises like that lead to an appreciation of my lingering command of non-English languages. One particular embarrassing event led to a 30 minute tirade in five languages. Does it count as repeating yourself if you say the same thing in Russian and Swedish?

Ok @Auspicious, so you DO use bad language after all, just not in English?? Reserving terms like giminy cricket, darn and dang for English only? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Clever trick…

1 Like

I have found that if one swears regularly no one really notices. When it is a surprise it has an impact.

You left out jeepers.

I did indeed! Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to employ this trick of yours…

Haha. I can curse in a few languages myself. Premixed.

1 Like

Ok, did the sour cream experiment a couple weeks ago; needed to use the results, which I feel got better in the fridge, with time. I didn’t acidulate further. Used it to make sour cream banana bread today. Made three small loaves, will probably gift two to elderly friends. Tomorrow, sour cream, walnut coffee cake. Thanks @Auspicious - very good culinary trick!

5 Likes

Buttermilk can be frozen for future baking use. The culture in the buttermilk will probably survive freezing.

I recently purchased sour cream culture from New England Cheesemaking to make the Russian smetana sour cream, and the culture itself is supposed to be kept frozen. It worked beautifully, using the recipe from the Portland Ore. restaurant Kachka cookbook. I bought the least processed heavy cream I could get at Boston area Whole Foods. And it lasts a long, long time. It has a very complex flavor that we really enjoy, and we don’t mind at all that it will take us a couple of months to use it all.

Also Boston area, Charlestown Whole Foods started selling the wonderful Kate’s Buttermilk from Vermont in pints rather than quarts. Market Basket Somerville usually has Kate’s quarts.

3 Likes

Made a walnut sour cream coffee cake with the left over sour cream from the experiment, having to add just 1/3 cup of commercial sour cream to have the full amount. It turned out great, and was shared with two elderly friends, along with a mini banana bread loaf for each, with the same sour cream from the experiment. Thanks again @Auspicious & our friends thank you too!

1 Like

I picked up this smetana aka “Canadian-style” sour cream at the local East European market. It is decidedly creamier (higher fat content, too, although no such info is given on the packaging) and runnier than US sour cream… maybe more similar to crème fraîche, and less tart.

I honestly can’t wait to cook with it.

$5.99 for 16oz.

3 Likes

In general I find the yogurts I buy at Middle Eastern markets to be significantly more sour than what is available at most supermarkets.

I’m adding local ( brands available to me) crema!

3 Likes