Sour cream?

Think I’ll do it tonight and let you know how it turns out @Auspicious.

1 Like

Yogurt scales down fine - I usually make single servings, because I prefer the very mild flavor of fresh yogurt to the tang that sets in after.

2 Likes

I totally agree with making homemade sour cream. If you can get raw milk, it is even better.

SOUR CREAM? YOGURT? BUTTERMILK? COTTAGE CHEESE/
WHAT WAS THIS THREAD ABOUT/ SUBSITTUIING THIS FOR THAT? OR JUST
SOUR CREAM?
PLEASE CLARIFY… FOUR DIFFERENT DAIRY PRODUCTS.
:grinning:

2 Likes

Because all out other threads stay on topic?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

Phreddy would like to know uses for whipped cream.

2 Likes

And cream of tartar.

1 Like

Fixed the yelling for you - sshhhh - you’ll wake my wife.

We often wander off topic and sometimes back. In this case not so far off. Sour cream was the original topic and the OP raised the related topic of yogurt - the issue being tartness and its apparent change. Sour cream and yogurt are both cultured dairy products. Sour cream is the product of heavy cream and buttermilk. I don’t recall a mention of cottage cheese but it is similarly a cultured dairy product: mostly milk and vinegar.

I would say that technique draws a direct line between sour cream, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Buttermilk is simply an ingredient of sour cream. It is a component culture for sour cream just as there are cultures for yogurt. Sour cream, yogurt, and cottage cheese are all very easy to make at home. In fact I would suggest that any of them would make a dandy sixth grade science fair project. Compare and contrast all three and you have a blue ribbon.

3 Likes

Where do Mexican crema and French creme fraiche fit in your cultured time space continuum?

2 Likes

I’m not an expert. As I understand it crema, crème fraiche, and sour cream are pretty much the same thing. Crema has the least fermentation time and so is thinnest and least sour. That’s followed by crème fraiche and then sour cream as thickest and most sour.

Add them to our notional science fair project with double-blind taste testing, scatter plots, and some decent statistical analysis we have a high school blue ribbon winner.

1 Like

I’ve made my own yogurt and based on fermentation time you can age for a more tart product.

4 Likes

RE crema, I use it as an inexpensive sub for creme fraiche. I usually keep both Mexican and Salvadorian cremas on hand. Mexican is a little thinner and has a clean creme fraiche taste, while Salvadorian which contains (more) salt is thicker, yellowish, and has a very sophisticated voluptuous flavor. I shun ordinary American sour cream because to my taste it is TOO sour. Perhaps specialty brands might be better, but I usually opt for creme fraiche if going that route.

4 Likes

Add them to our notional science fair project with double-blind taste testing, scatter plots, and some decent statistical analysis we have a high school blue ribbon winner.

Dave, I guess I should be a judge at the science fair!

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to report on this @Auspicious. I did the little sour cream experiment last weekend. Mixed it all up and put it in a clean container. Covered it with plastic, kept it on the counter, but kitty was very interested and threatening to tear into the plastic. It’s happened before, so I stored it in the microwave. After 24 hours, it was thinner than I like, so I put it on a heating pad I’d covered with a paper towel. It thickened up, but there’s a separate layer of liquid on the bottom, and I didn’t care for the flavor profile at all. I will use it, but am afraid it might seperate in a sauce or soup. I think I’ll acidulate further with lemon juice and make a banana bread or sour cream coffee cake with it. Great idea in a pinch, and perfect for applications, where you don’t have any, or don’t want a unitasker product. Like your boat trips or camping maybe. Remote areas of the world. Will let you know how I use it and how the end result is.

1 Like

Appreciate the report back. I don’t remember the liquid layer from when I have made it.

I love creme fraiche when I used to make it for hubby who loves it with his cake. It is very nice as one does not have to whip it as we know whipping cream does not last.
Very easy, using this recipe

I usually cover the jar with a clear wrapper, place it on top of the duct where my heat comes in. It usually takes 2- 3 days. Well, when I have a party , I even have a special container that I bought where I can put ice on the bottom and creme fraiche on top. I believe it is from the Netherland with picture of cows . It keeps the creme fraiche nice and cold for a few hours and easy enough to add new ice cubes.
Picture shows I have my baby Wolfie’s name as when he was my only pom adopted after hubby passed, , I would lay out raw meat for him in the morning and worried that he may eat the meat in stages, I add ice underneath so the meat will not spoil. I no longer do that as he was joined by his daughter Luna who we adopted when we found out 6 months later that he sired Luna before we adopted him. When Wolfie was initially adopted, he would try and grab his food, and hide it around the corner of the house and eat it. That is because the breeder has 11 other poms and she puts out food for all of them at the same time and I guess they had to survive and grab whatever they can. I slowly was able to convince Wolfie that there is no need to grab and hide his food. He was the only one in our household. Of course, Luna came when she was barely 6 weeks old and she never had to worry bec she was barely out of her mother’s den when she came to me at under 2 lbs. I place her food inside her crate so anything inside the crate is hers, and Wolfie is not allowed to eat her share. They learn fast.

1 Like

Thanks @ccj, I’ll give that recipe and method a try. Love the containers and, as always, stories of the babies.

As an aside, met my friend’s new rescue dog, Boscoe, who is a mixed breed, 1-2 year old great dog, perfect for their family. He was rescued out of a puppy/dog mill, and was destined to become food. I saw the documentation from this, and also the foreign writing. So glad for rescue organizations doing that kind of work. :dog::dog::heart:

1 Like

let me know h ow it turns out. I like it plain but my husband had a sweet tooth and sometimes, a little sugar added to it.

Will do.

Sadly, “Greek Yogurt” in the US is a marketing category rather than a product description.
Chobani’s fairly much like traditional strained yogurt, and labneh at a Middle Eastern grocery is also legit, but grocery store brands can be anything from that to nonfat yogurt with lots of extra cornstarch for thickening, and other brand-name “Greek Yogurts” can be anywhere in between. (And of course the big groceries sell much of it flavored, which isn’t what you need for cooking.)

2 Likes