Soupe a la oignon

How do you make your onion soup? Are you a chicken broth person, a beef broth person, a combination, or something else? Do you cook your onions
entirely soft or leave a bit of toothiness? Do you add a wine or liquor? Some recipes use brandy, some use Sherry, and some like good old red wine. Do you add any herbs or other seasonings? How about toppings? Toast? Croutons? Swss? Gruyere?

I use beef broth, caramelize the onions but leave a little toothiness. Alcohol is Amontillado. Herb is fresh time. I like toasted rounds of baguette topped with Gruyere, but often use Swiss instead. This is my traditional way of using up the ribs from the holiday roast.

8 Likes

Slightly “toothy” onions + veal broth + madeira + thyme, then a round of dry country bread + Gruyere.
May not be authentic (albeit what exactly is that?) but it’s warm comfort and delicious.

7 Likes

Sounds divine.

We don’t get too fancy here. Caramelize onions in half butter and olive oil until toothsome. Maybe a half cup of white wine until alcohol is burned off. Boxed beef stock. Simmer for an hour. Then add some raw grated onion to cut the sweetness. This is key for us. Hard toasted French bread. Layered with more than likely Swiss. Very rarely Gruyère. Hot soup ladled in and toast and more cheese on top. Broiled until golden brown. I told my husband a month ago the one thing I wanted for Xmas were a couple of “long handled” onion soup crocks. At my age it’s best for potholders. He came through. I have no use for the tops they come with, but that’s standard for onion soup crocks. Good thread. We love French onion soup. Even if our variation is not necessarily authentic.:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

The one and only time I made it, I bought the beef bones, roasted them, atood and stirred the onions forever…added the crouton and the Gruyere and broiled it til brown and bubbly

…only to be ridiculed for serving what (in their words) tasted like a bowl of soggy burned hamburger, and scolded for having spent that much money on something so awful.

Ive never had a desire to make it again.

(It was neither burned nor watery, btw…)

3 Likes

Both beef and chicken broth, if I have it . Caramelize the onions but yeah I leave something to chew on- oh, I’m sorry, toothiness - definitely Amantillado. It’s Casa Amontillado here. Thyme. I will use toasted baguette rounds or even croutons if I don’t have a real loaf - copious amounts of Gruyère but Swiss will do. Trader Joe’s and for a time Whole foods had these cylindrical 1 person portions of onion soup - frozen - that you could doctor up with croutons and more cheese. The interesting thing was that the broth was vegetarian- no beef or chicken. Looked and tasted completely beefy. Better living through hydrolized some kind of protein. I know there are kosher chicken instant soup mixes that look and taste like chicken broth but are in fact Pareve —- neither dairy nor meat. Some one back in college gave me the recipe for Mensa Onion Soup - the stock was made from one can of chicken broth, one can of beef broth, and one can of undiluted beef consommé. Sautéed onions, crouton and Swiss cheese topping. It wasn’t terrible for college cooking. not at all.

2 Likes

Thumbs up on the crocks with the long handle. Mine were from Pier 1, I think. Have had them for 50 years. Yes, the lions head tuteens are chic-er, but :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Ungrateful heathens!

4 Likes

Just one who’s been out of my life for a while. Funny how the scars form.

3 Likes

I used to have the lion’s head bowls but I got tired of them tipping over, so off to Goodwill they went!

2 Likes

I won’t rat you out to Williams-Sonoma …

1 Like

Thanks! :grinning:

:+1:t2:

The fools!

3 Likes

I have made it before with home made vegetable broth. It was really quite good.

2 Likes

I like that product too. Trader Joe’s still has them, although they were out for a couple of months. Last I saw, Costco has them too (as of a month or two ago), but I think it’s a seasonal item for them.

1 Like

Caramelize yellow onions

Remove onions, and deglaze pan with brandy, then add 1:1 beef and veal stock, bay leaves and thyme, simmer then add more brandy, simmer. Add salt to taste.

3 Likes

On the rare occasions I make it: fully caramelized (not toothsome at all) onions and a mixture of chicken and beef broth. I use this Anthony Bourdain recipe but my onions have never been done in 20 minutes, more like 60.

I also like this horribly named variation for a heartier main dish soup - it adds sliced marinated beef and soba noodles.

1 Like

I had never had French Onion Soup until last week, when DH made some that was outstanding, and I hope he makes it again this winter.
Vegetarian version because that’s how we roll.
Reported here:

He used mushroom flavour BTB. He sauteed the onions until they still retained a little texture. Added lots of gruyere. Baguette slices with more gruyere for the top. Some kind of white wine per whatever recipe he followed.

Got the brown and cream crocks (no handles, just the little ears, for easier storage) from Amazon. There are many sizes and colours of this shape of crock available.
ETA: these crocks are freezer, oven, microwave safe, though I would not go straight from freezer to oven.

7 Likes

I thrifted my soup mugs. We like them with a big handle. I think I paid $2 each…but they go under the broiler and in the micro with no issues

3 Likes