Soup. Where do you line up?

Puréed cauliflower is my base for pretty much all thick soups that would normally have a roux or potato base - broccoli cheddar, cream of mushroom, New England clam chowder, etc. I have gotten to the point where I prefer it to a traditional thickened - roux and potatoes just full the other flavors to me.

1 Like

I can see that working very well. Over the holidays I just made “mashed cauliflower” using a roux similar to country sausage gravy. Normally I mash the cauliflower and add cheeses to thicken them and give them a more mashed potato consistency, my MIL had her kidneys removed, so cheese is out of her diet. I made the roux and mixed the mashed cauliflower with it and it came out very well.

1 Like

HAHA! winter was long overdue and it has been single digits in the morning and not even passing 20 the last couple days.

bought a package of chicken feet, package of wings and a package of chopped up pig’s foot. added some carrots, ginger, garlic, dried chilis and lemongrass. simmered about 10 hours. strained, chilled into piggy bird jello. am having a bowl now with seaweed, an egg and some sambal sauce stirred in. sooooo good. the pig’s foot makes the broth almost sticky on your lips. :smile:

3 Likes

In preparation for frying strips of pig ears, I made an incredible pork stock. Yours sounds wonderful.

1 Like

Now that’s a broth soup I can get behind!

1 Like

Here ya go:

2 Likes

Thanks Natascha. That looks very tasty. If I get to the Asian Grocery it’s going to be on the menu this weekend.

1 Like

tell me more about the fried pig’s ears? there is a spanish place here that serves that as tapas and it’s amazeballs.

1 Like

I’ll get back to you on that. We’re up in Seattle visiting the kids and I’ll have to find what I did. But it was good :slight_smile:

1 Like