Soup. Where do you line up?

I love almost every type of soup. It’s been a comfort food to me for decades. But, funny thing is, when I actually home make it, 99% of the time it will be cream based.

Which side of the soup spectrum do you migrate to? Cream / Bisque, or broth based?

Cream based? Or cream added? My soups (always more ingredients than liquid) are stock based and some get cream added at the end.

2 Likes

Stock based . In fact today it’s soup . Looks like rain outside . Any soup ideas for me to make ?

1 Like

Cream based. I start with a roux. Add vegetable stock, potato, or split pea, or Navy Beans, a small bit of water, and heavy cream equaling the amount of stock. Blend, then simmer all together until the vegetables are soup consistency.

No cream in my soup. Ever. Stock only.

What else do you have in the house?

1 Like

I have to go out to the store . I’m thinking along the line of minestrone . How about some nice Italian soup ideas .

1 Like

I make what I call “kitchen sink” soup as in “everything but the kitchen sink.” Great way to clean out the fridge. Recently I added pre-cooked orzo and loved that.

3 Likes

Yes, well, in Italian a minestre is a bit different from a soup, which must always have bread in it, while the minestra has starchy vegetables or grains that break down and make for something thick and closer to a potage

I had always thought minestrone just " a lot more of minestra" – meaning, more stuff in it,. A real kitchen-sink minestra. But the above blog ling identifies it as a summer dish, with beans.

Don’t know where you live, but if you live someplace cold, and don’t feel like soaking beans, a minestre whose major starch vegetable is pumpkin or some kind of orangey squash might be nice. Pumpkin rice soup?

http://blog.cookaround.com/queidelicatimotivisparsi/minestra-riso-zucca-della-petronilla/

Or do people get tired of eating pumpkin because of the holidays?

2 Likes

I like the ribollita . I might put in a little smoked ham hock .

1 Like

Only ever stock (made from scratch or from cube or bouillon powder) . It is our “use up of last resort”, whether that’s vegetables or, even, the last of stew that we might blitz in the blender and thin down with the stock. If it needs bulking out, there’s always pasta or a tin of flageolet beans to go in.

1 Like

Non-cream based soups for me. I indulge occasionally in creamy soups (e…g, clam chowder), but I much prefer a brothy, liquidy base. I think it’s because in Chinese culture, soup is always served with your meal so a bisque or a cream-based soup is too heavy.

1 Like

In “The Way to Cook”, Julia Child described several recipes that are “creamy” but don’t use cream: instead, cooked white rice is added to “cream” of asparagus or broccoli soup. It works very nicely.

1 Like

Soup fiend extraordinaire here. Stock based, but would eat cream added broth if either that or starvation.

My style is “medieval”, meaning chucking everything in, or whatever I have on hand. I often make stock using beef shanks and extra marrow bones. The youth have no idea how real broth should taste. Pity.

I can eat soup every day, at any time, and just about any kind of soup, almost.

1 Like

Ribollita is great if you can get good Tuscan kale where you are. (Is it still sometimes sold as “dinosaur” kale?) Make a double batch because it really is better re-boiled the next day.

1 Like

When I was cooking for my elderly dog I found out what amazing stock a pressure cooker makes. I had some that before freezing I labeled “A+ stock.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that something different from what’s sold in the UK as cavolo nero?

1 Like

Just a few days ago we bought Orzo with the intent to make meatball soup. Bean & Ham won out for New Year’s Day, tho.

Same thing. That is the name in Italy as well.

I don’t believe I have never seen in Italy the kind of kale sold in the US, which I think is sometimes called “curly kale”, but usally just “kale”. I don’t know who else other than cooks in the US uses this kind of kale as an ingredient. I recall it being more bitter than cavolo nero.

1 Like

Another stock-based souper here. And yes, usually as a means for disposing of veggies before they turn bad. Although summer gazpacho calls for really fresh veggies.

It’s finally turned coldish here, so I’m thinking French Onion some time this week as I have lots of leftover rolls and cheeses from the holiday.

1 Like

Sunday is Soup Day in our house. I start with homemade stock from freezer (beef/chicken/turkey/ veggie ect.) and start to clean out the 'fridge. Sometimes it goes through the Vitamix, sometimes it get a bit of cream. Just depends on my mood that day. Presto supper is done and my lunch for the next 2 days. Never tastes the same twice but always tastes good.

1 Like