Soup ideas for cold, rainy weather (non-vegetarian)

This thread is split from another soup thread from the vegetarian board. The idea is to gather soup ideas for the cold weather…

Nice thread starter. Soup Ideas:

Ham and potato Soup
Crab Soup I make this every year
Clam Chowder
Broccoli and Cheese Soup (my fav)
Cauliflower Soup
Tortilla Soup
Chicken and Dumplins ( not soup but works)
French Onion ( I absolutely love)
Loaded Potato soup

1 Like

Oxtail soup
Stuffed Green Pepper soup
Ham and cabbage soup
Veg Beef soup
Tomato soup<

I like soup…

I recently made a wonderful pea soup with crème fraîche & fresh mint. I used chicken stock & ended up poaching a few shrimp in it, but I don’t see how it wouldn’t be delish with veg broth.

2 Likes

i’m working my way through a big batch of chicken/pork stock i made. just warmed some chopped spinach and diced squid in some and had a big bowl. will have some more later, but with shrimp and seaweed.

1 Like

I made my first attempt at Tom Kha Gai this weekend, and it came out fantastic. Surprisingly easy…once you can hunt down the elusive lime leaves. The coconut adds a richness to the soup that I think makes this great for cold days/nights.

4 Likes

Those lime leaves make a helluva difference.

2 Likes

During the winter, soups of some sort are usually on the menu for Thursdays. Here are some of the soups I make:

Baked Potato Soup
Beans and Ham Soup
Beef and Mushroom Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cauliflower Soup
Cheddar Ale Soup
Chicken Corn Chowder with roasted red peppers
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Mushroom Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chile
Chunky Tomato Soup
Clam Chowder Soup
Corn Chowder
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
Dill Pickle Soup
Egg Flower Soup
Enchilada Soup
French Onion Soup
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Minestrone Soup
Split Pea Soup
Taco Soup
Tortilla Soup w/Chicken
Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
Vegetable Cheese Soup

This might also help. I’ve found some great recipes here: http://www.cooksoups.com/

3 Likes

I made stock this weekend . Lot’s of beef bones , chicken carcass , some pork ribs , carrots , onion , celery . I browned it in the oven before adding to the pot . Also added little dried porcini and turnip after . I am ready to pull it off the stove this afternoon . It’s been on a very low simmer for 48 hours . Then I will strain it with a fine sieve . I will end up with about three gallons of stock for my soups .

4 Likes

Pork bones, carrots, watercress (optional). Simple, tasty and comfortable Cantonese soup.

3 Likes

Nice!

How about lemon leaves, they taste different from lime leaves?

No idea. Never had them.

In the last week I made Bowl of the Wife of Kit Carson (aka Caldo Tlalpeno) and also a cream of turkey mushroom, since I had made a cauldron of turkey broth last weekend. Tonight will finish the broth off with Cream of Broccoli, the way my husband likes it…made with Velveeta and heavy cream. No sides required!

Avgolemono, I’m having that with a greek salad for lunch today.

I’ve never had lemon leaves either. The makrut lime leaves (aka kaffir lime) had a highly unusual aroma that isn’t quite the same as lime citrus, so I understand why they would constitute a poor substitute. I’ve never had any citrus leaves in food otherwise.

I asked because I have 2 lemon plants at home… Maybe it’s time to get a Kaffir lime plant too since it’s useful in Thai and Vietnamese cooking. Kaffir lime is called combawa here, I think it’s possible to find them in the Asian store, but the problem is they will sell you a big bag… I’m not sure the leaves freeze well.

I tend towards stew more than soup, but this is cold rainy weather soup if I’ve ever seen it: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/11/veselkas-cabbage-soup/

1 Like

The kaffir lime leaves are supposed to handle the freezer well! In fact, several online sites recommend frozen leaves over the dried stuff that you might find elsewhere. I bought a few packs on my trip to the market (1.25hr ride on the subway each way…erk) so I could save and freeze them for future use.

My Asian grocer only carries frozen lime leaves, and that’s where I keep them. They last forever.