Sonoratown - Mid City, LA

Taco time again

3 Likes

Took some 80 year old Scandinavians here today for their first tacos. Big hit !

1 Like

I didn’t know they opened a second location. Glad it’s as good as the first.
Reminds me of the last trip I took before lockdown hit (like just made it back to SF). It was mostly a food tipe — Sonoratown, Major Domo, Pizzana, Apple Pan, Langers, Smorgasborg, Tacos 1986, Banh Cuon Luu Luyen, etc — and hang out with friends and some museums. Oh and saw my mom in SD at the end.

Thanks for the reminder. I can’t tell if it seems like a couple months or 10 years ago.

But it was me and my gf (I lived in LA/Socal for a bit and she’s been a bunch) and my good SF born and raised friend who had never been. Our first stop was was at Sonoratown on our way to the Airbnb. The SF friend loved the tacos after being wary at first hearing about the flour tortillas (must have been the LARD).

I think these are costilla, chorizo, and chicken tacos, and a burrito:

4 Likes

Yum.

It’s really excellent.

Pina and also cantaloupe Agua Fresca today. Flavors change. The chivichangas are nice too. Cabeza is usually available now. The tripas are my favorite in town.

I agree about being wary of flour tortillas. These are special tho ! Def lard.

Close to the new academy of motion pictures museum if you return.

A few bean and cheese burritos for later is a good move. Nice to try those tortillas in burrito form and sometimes nothing more comforting than the basics. Not huge but $4.50. Nice standard red salsa for me here.

What are your favorite bean and cheese burritos?

Jonathan Gold touted the Al and Beas one

2 Likes

I know I will sound like a gringo, but I really like flour tortillas

1 Like

Where are your favorite tortillas ?

Have u tried sonoratown?

Sometimes in lesser places flour tortillas just throw the inhalable balance of the taco off for me or signify lesser (gringo) tacos overall. Course there are bad corn ones too.

What are some of your favorite taco spots these days also ?

Yes, but it just doesn’t really do it for me.

El Russo

Ave. 26 (not flour, obviously)

Macheen (fish tacos with flour toritllas)

1 Like

Sort of off topic, but anyone make a “wet” bean & cheese burrito?

Try Gilbert’s el Indio

U like gringo.

I’m sure el coyote would do this too prob not as good.

The chivichanga party is a good deal. 2 bean n cheese and 6 other mix n match with a side of both salsas. Add some chips. Everybody is happy.

1 Like

Thanks @js76wisco . They also sell a kit with meat salsa tortillas etc too. I think you’re right that the chivichangas are better to go like that tho, and the tacos better to eat freshly made on location. Which chivichangas do you like better beef or chicken?

We like them both. If I had to choose I’d go with the beef and they crisp up nicely on a cast iron skillet the next day.

1 Like

Me too. What about these places?
Loqui
Burritos Las Palmas

1 Like

A Flour Tortilla Map of Los Angeles, From Sonoran to Mexicali-Styles - L.A. TACO (lataco.com)

Do you mean La Palma? Didn’t mention it in my comment but we also stopped by there on that trip:

And on the topic of bean and cheese burritos and this style, my favorite fast food place is Jimboy’s. Probably nostalgia if anything but driving through sac, we will stop every few times for a bean and cheese and a chicken taco or two. Funny seeing them just written up recently: https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/tahoe-chain-jimboys-tacos-success-17775435.php

3 Likes

I don’t find their flour toritta’s all that remarkable.

Their beef, however, exp. the birria is another story entirely.

the thought of frank ordering tacos there is pretty outstanding

They used to be solid, but ever since they started expanding too quickly after the son (Scott) took over operations in 2007-08, the franchisees really lost some of the Jim Knudson magic, as evidenced by the closures of many of their OC locations (Brea, Irvine, HB, etc.) in the years leading up to the Pandemic.

It’s too bad, really.

Oh, I didn’t even know they were down in OC. I’ve only had it in the sac metro region. I’m 99% sure they franchise and locations can be quite different — one time I stopped in Fairfield and it didn’t seem like the same restaurant as the ones I’ve been to in sac.