TACO BELL was great pre-90's formerly on ChowHound

TB Mexican Pizza used small flour tortillas. Put a dish/pan under your middle oven rack to catch any drippings. Brush flour tortillas with oil on both sides, and punch a bunch of holes through them with a toothpick or cake tester. Bake at 375 (or 350 convection) directly on the oven rack for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on this as you only want light browning on about a third of the surface, and convection does better here.

That sounds better and makes sense. Thanks for the tip my friend. I think I will try to make pizzas again. I got the sauce down, and the beef - it was just those wafers. Appreciate it !

Of course you don’t have to answer, but I’m curious about where that might be.

I can’t wrap my head around why fast food “Mexican” places survive when there are trucks and taqurias on almost every corner here where I live in Northern California.

I’ve almost never *been to one other than Chipotle (which has options beyond black beans, including no beans), but my son, who was raised here has. Shrugs.

*I sometimes went to Jimboy’s when my son played soccer in Placer County. Interesting.

2 Likes

Sorry, but there is no way baking a flour tortilla is going to replicate the “crust” Taco Bell uses for the Mexican Pizza, especially not the old school version from the 90s (I haven’t had one in a while but I hear they are using a sturdier tortilla these days since they brought them back after discontinuing them in 2020). As @Hungryman8 mentioned, you just end up with a tough, chewy flour tortilla that way. You need to find (or make yourself) a nice thin, flaky flour tortilla, then fry it. Mission brand isn’t going to cut it.

1 Like

Mission is junk… so I agree there. But I have made flour tortilla bowls using Guerrero flour tortillas (coated with oil) in the oven countless times… that always come out crispy and bubbly flaky. I see no reason why cooking the same way flat would not achieve the same results. Just look at them…

5 Likes

Lots of place in flyover country or in the deep south where there are no taco carts. I go to Helena MT quite often, no taco carts there. Unless I am looking at the wrong places. So, yes, such places do exist.

Because most Americans are not food curios, much less intrepid. On a food board like HO we are surrounded by people who are not only open minded about food, but actually want to explore and experience different foods and food experiences. Most of the people IRL, are not so inclined. It’s why McDonald’s basically prints money, when your corner mom-and-pop burger stand flipping actual chargrilled burgers come and go and probably wouldn’t survive if not for “cheap” labor.

Jimboys was good a while back but not so anymore.

Yes, I understand that, but I was wondering why they have a following here in this Northern California Bay Area suburb. And I get they are different from the tacos at taqurias, but still hard for me to wrap my head around that market. I would have to be a lot more intrepid to try Taco Bell.

You’re lucky… as many have some of the worst food safety practises ever.

Agreed… until they abandoned their shredded beef (which IMHO was the best thing they had). Since then everything pretty much went downhill.

1 Like

Where I frequent, Sacramento mostly (e.g. Granite Bay, Folsom, Auburn Hills, etc.) it’s basically strip mall hell (or heaven) depending on your perspective.

And ethnic in those parts are places like Fats (for Chinese) or Mikuni (for Japanese). Those to me are, um, at best the equivalent of Chipotle for Chinese and Japanese, respectively. And I say that knowing the owners of Fats personally.

True story. My wife’s co-worker (in Roseville) once remarked when seeing a California roll …“what’s that? normal people don’t eat things like that.”

1 Like

That’s my feeling regarding most sandwiches here in Philly. I actually know people IRL who will drive by 3 or 5 good local shops to get a “hoagie” or “meatball sub” from Subway or a chain pizza place. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I see. But I’ve been to what I think are good places in strip malls. I wonder how different Sacto is compared to Vacaville. I get up there from time to time, but not usually to eat.

"California roll …“what’s that? normal people don’t eat things like that.” Did she mean compared to sushi with the rice inside?

Okay, I will refrain from taking this any further off topic.

No compared to “real” food to her, like chicken teriyaki (which she considers Japanese).

1 Like

Or how in the world Pizza Hut survives in the heart of Manhattan? Like not just one, but 8 of them (at last count anyway).

1 Like

Sometimes thread drift is the best part of discussions :slight_smile:

And as far as strip malls are concerned, they are ubiquitous and tend to have hidden treasures, slop houses and everything in between.

3 Likes

Aren’t there TGIFriday’s and Olive Gardens in Times Square as well? There’s no accounting for taste. And there will always be people who have a comfort zone and will default to places where they know what to expect.

2 Likes

Indeed.

But again, we have to be careful.

We’re on a food board.

This place does not represent real life. All sorts of weirdos in real life.

And I bet people in real life say the same things about us here in our little fishbowl.

1 Like

Just in real life :thinking:

3 Likes

Hmmm… I have only been to Fat’s (in Folsom) a couple/few times (only for lunch) and while not authentic Chinese, I was pretty happy with the food.

On the other hand I have given Chipotle several chances and it has always been tasteless.

My husband likes Fat’s AND PF Chang’s. I’d go with him to Fat’s if he was driving. I’m not going to throw myself from the car. :hear_no_evil:

“I have given Chipotle several chances and it has always been tasteless.”

What did you get? While it’s not my first choice locally, I like all the options. I get the burrito “bowl” with no rice, (or a little rice. I like the wiff of cilantro and lime) barbacoa, fajita veg, some beans, a mix of salsas, lettuce and maybe guac. It’s low carb, and lasts awhile, at least without the guac.

1 Like

also in the metaverse … just ask Zuckerberg.

1 Like