Sofrito

I hope I haven’t missed this discussion, but could benefit from some input. I am making what my folks called peas and rice, with pigeon peas and rice, but what some call rice and peas. I have been using various versions of cooked sofrito, but this year have a lot of rocotillo peppers, and have been researching other versions as well.

Within the last year or so I bought “La Cocina Latina” by Maricel E. Presilla ( thanks to a fellow HO, I suspect), and am now down the rabbit hole of options. So much information!

I usually start with a cooked sauce, but have also frozen the raw ones in ice cube trays.

Anyone have sofrito insights?

Sofrito changes depending on what part of the world you’re talking about

I live where there is an enormous Cuban and Puerto Rican influence so a sofrito to me is onion, garlic, and peppers, possibly with a little sazon.

Some places it has cilantro, some has tomato…it just depends on what you’re cooking and what region youre cooking from.

Even peas and rice varies wildly…in the Bahamas its gandules (pigeon peas) and rice in a mild tomato based sauce…my college chum from Jamaica (rice and peas in her mind) made her version with kidney beans and spicy peppers.

Thank you! Husband from Jamaica thinks it’s “rice and peas” with kidney beans ( insert side-eyes), but fortunately I cook the correct version of peas and rice with pigeon peas. My mom’s family is from Nevis, but with lots of Bajan influence. I only learned the terms sofrito and gandules from friends while growing up in NY.

2 Likes

" Bahamian “Peas n’ Rice” vs. “Rice and Peas”

3 Likes

That’s how I was taught to make it in the Abacos in the early 80s.

5 Likes

I absolutely love this wordless post with the picture, because the words don’t need to be said, I hear them anyway: Look. This is how it’s done. You look hungry, have some more. :slight_smile:

The general area of the world being discussed here seems (in my very small experience meeting people from the area) like it must be one of the prime worldwide sources of recipe disagreements, with a strong local supply and a booming export market in recipe disagreements too. :grin:

I don’t know exactly what causes it to be that way, but the net effect is a lot of good people making a lot of good food, so I think it’s all right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have yet to encounter any traditional regional food that doesnt come with strong opinions as to the right way to make it…

Barbecue. Cassoulet. Chili. Gumbo. Shepherds pie. Etc. (And that’s off the top of an uncaffeinated brain on a Sunday morning)

Traditional dishes are seated in our souls by memories and family, so we have no way to not feel it deeply.

And I’m okay with that.

1 Like

You’re right. Maybe I have an odd background. I love where I grew up, but the traditional regional food is overcooked peas & carrots with overcooked meat. Excellent mashed potatoes though… :+1: but not much to argue about, other than where we can move to to find interesting food.

1 Like

You left off Tex-Mex butchered everywhere outside of Texas and Oklahoma. The stuff I see passed off on tv and menus would be laughable except it’s criminal.

That is maybe a bit of a different thing again, but I’m guessing that people who are from Texas and Oklahoma also argue among themselves about the one true right way.

As in the aforementioned “peas and rice” vs “rice and peas”. And a hot sauce for every “yard”.
In spite of my opinions, I am almost always in favor of a dish that is offered, over one that is just talked about. The peas and rice in the picture was offered, and my husband, although his opinion differed, ate it.

I just finished listening to, then watching “The Good Lord Bird” and would enjoy talking like that.

One favorite is “his cheese has slid off his biscuit.”

3 Likes

Lived in Texas all my life and haven’t seen that. Every now and then someone will foolishly put beans in chili but surprisingly to some chili is not on many menus.

The Wifeacita is from the Rio Grande Valley and until she moved about 300 miles north and met me never ate Tex-Mex.

It was absolutely not intended to be an all inclusive list…just a.few examples off the top of an uncaffeinated brain on a Sunday morning.

1 Like