Snacks for impromptu guests

So in the movie “Silver Linings Playbook”, the mother keeps saying she made “crabby snacks and homemades”. Would that be the crabbies of which you speak? I always wondered what that meant.

Here it is:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/edamame-with-smoky-salt-cocktails-2006

I used to teach a Quick Appetizer class each holiday season and this recipe was always a hit!

1 Like

My favorite is the smoked salt from Maldon, but TJs has a smoked salt grinder that is pretty good since it sounds like you shop there anyhow.

A few other snacky favorites from TJs that keep well (unopened anyhow) are the pumpernickle pretzel sticks which are great dunked in a spicy mustard, the olive oil popcorn (although obviously you could make your own savory popcorn quickly too), and the frozen tarte de alsace or the tarte with mushrooms.

1 Like

hasenfürzchen

1 Like

No idea. I lost interest in that movie after 5 minutes.

Fair enough. I lost interest after an intense portrayal of mental illness devolved into a dance-off. Still - great performances.

1 Like

I have a well stocked bar

4 Likes

Really?

“9. Hasenfürzchen Along with the bear, mouse, snail, and hedgehog, the bunny, or hase, figures prominently in German pet names. Knuddelhase is a good one, but hasenfürzchen or “bunny fart,” is better.”<<

1 Like

Edit: I noticed the original recipe calls for edamame in the pod. I prefer out of the pod. Good either way though.

applause sounds like my house!

actually i’m a big potato chips fan, so there’s a good shot i’ll have a bag of that around. but you have to be someone i really like to share my utz red hot chips.

i also have some random interesting chinese snacks lying around every once in a while. my current offerings might include garlic baby fava beans (so good!) in little mini, precious packets or fried fish skin (don’t knock it 'til you try it).

I’m coming to your house!!

1 Like

You’re welcome any time!

Here in L.A. County friends don’t “drop by” much – if they’re in our neighborhood it’s probably because they were invited. I have never expected to be fed if I drop in on somebody, though depending on the circumstances I wouldn’t be surprised if offered a cold beer or similar, and if you come in all heat-struck I will offer the same. But food? Not usually. I do have a can of merely adequate stuffed grape leaves I might offer, trying to pretend you wouldn’t be doing me a favor …

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing while reading this thread – no one drops by unexpectedly around here! If they did, I’d offer them a drink but not food, unless they showed up at meal time and we were about to eat.

I have no clear strategy for anyone’s showing up at mealtime, unless it’s the plumber or cable dude we’re waiting for. But our friends mostly know when that is, and we don’t feed strays … or at least not human ones!

2 Likes