Slow cooker thoughts

This slow cooking is really slow!

2 Likes

You are too funny @shrinkrap! Are you being serious or is it tongue in cheek? :yum: I don’t think Dave meant it literally :blush: I know you’ve had a rigorous education and career :+1: Sometimes I take stuff too literally as well…

The slow cooker liners are kind of like the Brown n Bags of yesteryear, although I still use them occasionally.

Want to add that you will want to avoid thermal shock with the ceramic inserts. Totally ok to put them cold into your unplugged, unset slow cooker. But remember not to add any cold liquids into the pot once it’s cooking. I wiped out a slow cooker recently that way, even though I KNOW better. Had to replace the whole thing.

Also, never put dairy in for a long cook, because it will break down and curdle over those many hours; hence all the recipes calling for canned soup. So, add dairy at the last if need be. Dave’s point about making a roux is a good one if you want to skip the canned soup. I use the canned sometimes, just for the sake of expediency.

2 Likes

:thinking:

So do I want to leave the beans a bit under if I’m going to cook them more? I’m making chicken chili, and it will cook with a roux about 20 minutes, then sit on warm for another hour or so.

I usually wish I had cooked them just a bit more, but don’t want them to fall apart.

1 Like

My distaste for the IP was not directed at anyone in particular and certainly not you. Knee jerk reaction on my part to posts in which the IP is presented as the solution to everything. “Want to make a souffle.” “Buy an IP!” “Grandma’s Dutch oven recipe for chili doesn’t seem the same.” “Buy an IP!” “Having trouble lacing kitchen twine around my stuffed pork loin - the knots slip.” “Buy an IP!” “Shifting from vegetarian to vegan and looking for substitutes for dairy.” “Buy an IP!” It is wearying and does bring ‘cult’ to mind. “Here - drink this Kool-Aid - you’ll like it!” Bah.

1 Like

The bean issue can be tricky, I would probably just cook them slightly under. To the point they’re almost ready to eat but not falling out of their skins. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I’d say it varies by type of bean. Some are more likely to fall apart, some never do.

FWIW, I’ve always fully pre-cooked beans and lentils, pot-in-pot, with just enough water in the inner pot for the (soaked) beans to absorb (plus water outside in the outer pot to steam and create pressure of course).

The only thing that falls apart is peeled lentils for dal, as they should.

2 Likes

I’m going to look up pot-in-pot. Get me started if you have time.

ETA I found this;

“One of my favorite perks of cooking in the Instant Pot, is the fact that you can cook two dishes at one time. It’s called “pot in pot” cooking, and it takes the convenience factor of the Instant Pot to the next level. You can make an entire meal at once, totally hands-off!”

Is that it? Sneaky! I was thinking it was some French thing!

1 Like

That’s it.

Any indian pressure cooker comes standard with stacked steel inserts - I have a three-stack and a two-stack. Can also be used individually. Here’s an example of the inserts - it’s good to have a mix of deep and shallow for flexibility. You want the top lid so what’s on top doesn’t get waterlogged.

The idea is energy efficiency, so if you’re expending the energy to run the pressure cooker, you can speed-cook ingredients for a whole meal (or a few) at once.

A standard indian stack: pre-soaked beans/lentils (or meat) at the bottom, rice in the middle, whole potatoes on top. Everything is finished separately stovetop, but in minimal additional time.

I’m not that efficient, but this is a daily occurrence in several hundred million households there.

2 Likes

The finished white chicken chili. If the three, the IP temp was the easiest to control, although the Cuisinart multi-cooker was probably just as good with experience.

4 Likes

I see cilantro! yum yum yum

Your comment made me laugh because decades ago, my mom bought a slow cooker without knowing what it was. She just loved the idea that you can plug it in (based on the pretty pictures on the box) and free up a spot on her range while she also cooked in this portable pot.

We were kids so we didn’t know what a slow cooker was, but my mom doesn’t read English. She tested it by plugging it in and filling it half way with water. She swore up and down that the stupid thing was broken when after a few hours the water only got warm. She never saw the water boil even when she let it run overnight. She returned it, and proclaimed for many years how useless and stupid it was, and that the pot must have been broken because it was so slow.

4 Likes
1 Like

More nostalgia

3 Likes

Years ago I bought a book called “Fix, Freeze, Feast” which has bulk recipes that one can freeze and eat later. Recipes could be put together on the weekend and the family could help. If you are willing to do this for several weekends, I think this method would be of benefit if all you had to do was defrost your dinner after a busy day. There is probably every opportunity for you to use the produce you grow in your garden, as well.