Slow Cooker Stock Recipes (Veggie and Chicken)

I’m putting my weekly meal plan together and realized that once again I’m putting store bought stock on the list. I have a slow cooker and plenty of time, so there’s really no excuse that I’m not making my own. What are your tried and true recipes for using a slow cooker to make homemade stock (I want to do a batch of chicken and a batch of veggie). I frequently buy rotisserie chicken and I’ve heard that you can use the carcass in stock, have you tried this?

I have a big slow cooker so I can fit 2 chicken carcasses, with the skin if you haven’t eaten it, along with 2 onions, 3 carrots (peeled), 3 celery stalks (with the leaves), roughly chopped. Bay leaves x 2, 4 cloves of smashed garlic (add more or less depending on how you love garlic). Vinegar (white/cider) 2 Tablespoons, it helps dissolve the minerals in the bones and you won’t taste it. Handful of fresh/dried mushrooms. Just cover with water. Turn on low for 8-10 hours. Strain and either refrigerator or freezer. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I have used rotisserie chicken bones to make stock. My recommendation is chicken bones (roasted or raw), along with carrots, celery, garlic, onion, parsley stems, etc and a few pepper corns. I do not put any salt in mine, so that I can double reduce it (it takes less room in the freezer) and then I thaw and add water to use. I keep two bags in the bottom drawer of my freezer, one for chicken bones and one for vegetables and as I either have carrot ends, onion ends/ skins, etc I had those to my stock bag. When they are full I make stock. The only vegetables I wouldn’t add are cabbage, peppers, chilis, etc. because they make the stock bitter but most other vegetables are fair game. Enjoy your stock!

1 Like