Slaws

With warm weather approaching, could we share our favorite slaw recipes? Not limited to cabbage.

To kick off, almost 25 years ago Gourmet Mag published this recipe which they titled Men’s Favorite Salad, a cabbage slaw in a cottage cheese based dressing.

3 Likes

Cuppa mayo, splash of vinegar, s&p, a lil mustard powder, verrrrrry thinly sliced red onion. This is for a creamy cabbage slaw. Best eaten the next day.

3 Likes

My favorite thing to do with cold cabbage. Yeah, it is 6 to 1 iceberg vs cabbage, but you can change that up however you like. It is cold and refreshing, sweet and tangy, with a bit of crunch, and we love it with almost anything grilled/BBQ’d.

1 Like

Good point on giving the cabbage time to relax.

Good one, Scott. We love Chinese chicken salad but have never included that much green stuff.

1 Like

And the flavahs to party together overnight :wink:

1 Like

I really think you will like it, so long as you dress it lightly.

1 Like

I like to add a grated red-skinned apple to a mix of shredded cabbage and carrots. Adds color and flavor. I use Marie’s refrigerated cole slaw dressing and I dress it very lightly.

3 Likes

Is there something you can buy that might be a reasonable substitute for frying your own won ton chips? Maybe at an Asian market?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Can you not buy won ton skins at your supermarket?

Yes, but I’d LOVE to make this and not have to fry them. I was thinking there might be a fried version. I thought I’d seen something in various widths.

2 Likes

I have seen fried wonton strips in packages in my grocery store, along with fried tortilla strips grouped along with other salad toppings (assorted bread croutons) in my regular grocery store

2 Likes

I really dunno as I never do this with wontons and should probably change the recipe because of that. For me, the rice noodles are best to add the crispiness necessary, and yes you need to fry them (I do a shallow fry in a 8" cast iron pan).

2 Likes

Just wondering out loud here if they might work in an air fryer, after being brushed with oil? Have been tempted to try it with vermicelli rice noodles for Mongolian Beef - the one and only time we made it, it caused a horrendous mess in the kitchen! But do love me some Mongolian Beef once in awhile.

3 Likes

While I have a very capable air fryer device, I have never tried to do crispy rice noodles this way… really think you will get much better results in a high heat shallow fry… but if you’re willing to give it a try, let us know how it worked out.

Ideally, you want crisp, puffy noodles without any hard spots.

I will let you know when I experiment. I agree that best results would be traditionally fried, but willing to see if I can get to acceptable. For me the rice vermicelli popped and splatted like crazy when shallow fried, thus really grease bombing the kitchen. Think I would deep fry that particular thing, if I don’t achieve what I’m looking for a la the air fryer. Stay tuned! Now I’m craving that salad/slaw you posted!

1 Like

You can brush or spray both sides of wontons with oil, then bake on a sheet pan in a 350-375F oven. Keep tabs on them.

1 Like

Since I no longer drive, I have groceries delivered and can easily run low on fresh produce. Once or twice a year I Uber to Ocean State Job Lot to stock up on Belveder brand Polish Family Salad. 2# glass jar, cabbage, carrot, onion, red bell pepper, charlock…all shredded in a plain brine of vinegar, salt, sugar, and water. It’s good as is, but mixed with mayo is a good sub for tartar sauce. They also have a version with sliced veggies including cuke, and a red cabbage slaw with apple and beets.

The older I get, the more I prefer slaws and quick pickled vegetables to stove-cooked.

2 Likes

House favorite is shredded red cabbage and fennel with lots of chopped cilantro, dressed with a mixture of mayo, lime juice, hot sauce, ground coriander and a bit of fennel pollen. Super crunchy and refreshing. I sometimes add thinly sliced radishes to the mix.

2 Likes