Since Hachiya and Fuyu Persimmons have their own threads, tell me about Vanilla Persimmons

So far this year, I have tried Kaki Persimmons and Hachiya Persimmons. This week I brought 6 beautiful Vanilla Persimmons. How should I eat them?

Hachiya Persimmons: best ways to use them…

Fuyu persimmon uses

Raw, after they ripen of course.

1 Like

They are taking forever to ripen. I bought them Friday and they are still firm. And they travelled all the way from Spain

The typical “paper bag with banana” trick does not work for fuyu-type persimmons like Vanilla.

The lack of ripening started when they were picked – probably too early from the vine.

One thing you can try is to place the fruit in an air-tight container in a single layer, sprinkle a few drops of brandy or rum on the brown leaves on top of the fruit and cover the container. Should be soft as jam in a day or two.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Would you eat the healthy part of a Persimmon that had this mold? Or should I toss the whole thing? TIA

Me? I would.

But I would never tell someone else to, though. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll try it tomorrow. I cut off the bad stuff, poured lemon on the edge and put it in the fridge.

Interesting that there are vanilla persimmons. The last time I was in a big Asian grocery I bought chocolate persimmons. They were delicious, really no different in taste than other fuyu, but not very appealing to look at. They looked spoiled inside.

1 Like

I had asked about persimmons looking spoiled, and @ipsedixit had a link, and @presunto had a comment. Maybe they’re called chocolate persimmons because they tend to look brownish inside?

Yes

Also known as “black sapote”

1 Like

Yes. I figured that out after the first one. They are orange brown inside but the color isn’t uniform. Interesting the npr says they aren’t available. I got them at a fairly mainstream Asian grocery in Seattle and they had a mountain of them. Immediately next to the fuyu, which is why I bought them and not what I intended. But other than the appearance, to me they tasted the same. Ie good

1 Like

I’m enjoying these persimmons raw. 3rd varietal I’ve tried, and I like this one raw the best.