SIMPLE THAI FOOD - April 2022 Cookbook of the Month

I agree. It’s called cookbook of the month. not cookbook of two months. This forum already has some other options which last longer than a month at a time. The whole purpose of cookbook of the month is do do one a month. And if someone wants to add to that thread they are free to do that. I had been adding to the AMA thread months after we cooked from the book. Also, some months I don’t like a cookbook and I can go back and revisit a few that I did like. It would really suck if the cookbook I didn’t like lasted longer than a month.

3 Likes

Thanks for chiming in and completely understand your point of view.
P.S.
Just saw your post @articshark thanks for sharing your opinion.

1 Like

Yes, you can go back to a past COTM anytime, but it is especially nice if a book really gels for you but the next one doesn’t–so don’t feel any time pressure about joining in!

1 Like

@MelMM,
That is so interesting because my husband doesn’t like sweet potato fries (SPF) yet couldn’t get enough of these.
I posted a picture of the sweet potato that he purchased when he heard that I was making SPF for Dinner.
Then the one’s he purchased after he had what he referred to as “restaurant worthy” which were tripple in size.
Btw. Smaller sweet potatoes are easier to cut for anyone planning to make these.

I can’t see how the potato size/cutting applies as you can cut into the same size batons, no matter the size of the sweet potato. It looks from your pics like you cut the fries wider from the larger potatoes, but I did not larger batons. I don’t like sweet potatoes very much, although I have come up with countless ways to prepare them that I do like, because I live in the south, and sweet potatoes and CSA boxes go hand-in-hand here. There is just no avoiding them. I do think as far as sweet potato fries go, these are excellent. And I think I might like these more with a different sauce. I really struggle with sweet vegetables, be it sweet potatoes or winter squash, so I knew going in that this dish might not be for me.

2 Likes

Hi Mel,

I had to take some time to figure out how to explain what occured with the sweet potatoes, while I was cutting them, so it would make sense.
These potatoes were very large in size that are usually wrapped (in foil) to bake in the oven.
I sharpened my knife and while I was cutting jagged pieces broke off (looked like it does when rock gets excavated).
That is why I kept them thicker because of the rugged edge.
With smaller potatoes the edges are smooth and even.

1 Like

Also tried making the

SPICY BASIL CHICKEN and FRIED EGGS on RICE
khao rat phat ka-phrao kai khai dao

The hard part was finding the ka-phrao (aka holy basil, tulsi, hot basil). I eventually found some in frozen form at an Asian market.

Pretty easy to make, was fun deep frying the egg.

14 Likes

NUEA PHAT PHRIK YUAK | STIR-FRIED BEEF WITH BANANA PEPPERS

Didn’t have banana peppers, used only the medium sized chili pepper, got rid of most seeds since there is no way that we could eat that spicy. Preparation as described: added minced garlic in heated oiled wok, followed by beef for 1 minute, pepper slice, onion, fish sauce and sugar for another 2 minutes. OK dish. Depends a lot on wok hei to make it successful or not.

13 Likes

HET PHAT NAM MAN HOI | MUSHROOM-OYSTER SAUCE STIR-FRY

I feel the sauce was over dominating the button mushrooms, it was my fault as I used less mushroom than in the recipe. H loved the dish though.

Added slice mushroom in a wok on high heat, with water, leek (white part of green onion), cooked for 1 minute, added the sauce (oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, Chinese rice wine, minced garlic, cornstarch, chicken stock) and cooked for 2 minutes, served.

Ate with the above beef dish and white rice.

15 Likes

Your peach-chile glaze sounds so good.

3 Likes

It is based on Vivian Howard’s jalapeño peach glaze (from DRR), but I eliminate the jalapeños and add red chile flakes. Makes a great dip for dumplings, and I use it as a less sweet, more spicy sort of sweet-and-sour sauce.

8 Likes

I have been re-reading DRR and plan to cook some more from it once my CSA starts delivering (in early May here in Ontario).

1 Like

CHICKEN in BROWN SAUCE on RICE
khao na kai

Super easy to make and tasty - marinate chicken in the sauce overnight and cook with broth. Accurately named. I think I needed to add a little more water.

14 Likes

HERB BAKED CASHEWS PAGE 21

Combine vegetable oil, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro leaves, mint leaves, green onion, honey, salt and chile powder, toss with raw cashews.
Bake @ 300 degrees F for 20 minutes or so stirring every 5 minutes until the cashews are golden brown.

This is a make again 10/10 !

14 Likes

LONG-GRAIN WHITE RICE KHAO SUAI PAGE 168

I used Thai Jasmine which is a sticky rice.
2 cups of Jasmine Thai Rice
3 1/4 cups water.

Rinse the rice until the water is clear.
Place the rice in cold water bring to a boil stirring occaissionally.
Cover reduce heat cook until done (15 to 18 minutes) and let sit a few minutes before fluffing with a carving fork (a tip that I learned here at HO from favorite kitchen gadgets thread).

5 Likes

FISH IN RED CURRY SAUCE CHUCHI PLA
PAGE 100

Described by @RainyRamone above.

We also used salmon the author indicates that one could also use halibut, trout, any shellfish or lean cut of meat.

I have had this with chicken or shrimp and both were good served that way.

My husband and I vote: 10/10

The boys vote: 7/10

P.S.
I served this with the Herb-Baked Cashews from page 21

9 Likes

Jasmine rice is not a sticky rice— it’s long grain and an indica variety. It doesn’t have a very high amylose content (it’s like 14-15%) so it’s softer when cooked than something like basmati, but sticky rice refers to japonica rice with almost no amylose (0-2%). Sometimes people call medium and short grain rice (japonica variety) sticky, but even those types don’t classify as sticky/glutinous rice because they are much higher in amylose.

I think she calls for far too much water. Personally I cook almost all white rice 1:1, but even for those who don’t, her ratio calls for a lot of water in comparison. You can see Pailin of Hot Thai Kitchen calls for a much lower ratio:

CHICKEN KARI “YELLOW” CURRY PAGE 99

I’ve cooked a fair number of recipes from Leela due to her Serious Eats column and some of the recipes are in this book with no changes. Among them is the yellow curry (kaeng kari kai).

You fry the curry paste in oil and coconut cream until fragrant and the fat separates. Then you add coconut milk, chicken stock, equal weight of potatoes and onions, and fish sauce and simmer covered until the potatoes soften. Once 15 minutes or so have passed, you add your chicken and cook until all the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.

I love this curry, however after making it as written a couple of times, I decided to double up on the chicken, because the recipe leaves you with very little meat in relation to broth and potatoes and onion. Because I like chicken thighs to be very tender, I add the chicken at the beginning with everything else.
I find her cucumber relish very sweet so I reduce the sugar. Once that change is made, the relish is a nicely refreshing addition to the curry, but most times I don’t make it because I enjoy the curry as is so much.

9 Likes

You are absolutely right @Shellybean thanks for the correction.
I misread it in The Simply Thai Cookbook.
What the author indicated is if you do a 1:1
water to rice ratio then the rice becomes “wet and sticky” nice catch. Thanks for chiming in.
P.S.
Thanks for the SE link I’ll cook my rice that way from now on.
I do remember you mentioning the 1:1 water to rice ratio before.
This rice had a lot of water content so wasn’t as firm as I would have liked.

1 Like

Since you are also in the Bay area (if I don’t mix up things) at which Asian supermarket did you find frozen holy basil - we have tried to find it for some time but where never successful

Visited my local Asian market today…overwhelming. After over an hour I left without purchasing anything although I now know where to buy Beef Bile. I saw some dried chilis but they were large (BIG) bags. They has some small packs of dried chile powder that is more reasonable for me, but I wouldn’t mind grinding my own. In the fresh produce they had small chilis but they were pre-packaged in an amount way too much for me. I didn’t see any fresh long green chile that might be used in drunken noodles. Also, no wide noodles, but an entire row of rice sticks. Didn’t notice the rice aisle the first time through, wasn’t buying anything in dog food size bags. Even the various soy sauces were in larger containers than I would typically buy in regular soy sauce. The good news is I now know where I can get Thai Basil, yes!
If anyone has suggestions or substitutes for any of the “specialty” items, all advice is welcome.

1 Like