Silly article about things TV chefs say

Guy Fieri?

1 Like

That’s it.

I don’t consider Guy a chef these days. As a game show//travelogue host he’s fine .
At least he’s honest and unapologetic about his schtick.
I don’t have cable though, so FN is not in my viewing queue.

1 Like

Never really did

1 Like

My buddies son worked with guy on YT videos and described Guy as exhausting on and off camera, ie never turns his it factor off but charming nonetheless.

2 Likes

Singlehandedly responsible for the demise of Food Network as a useful resource.

1 Like

This one makes sense to me. Some dishes it doesn’t matter what kind of olive oil you use as long as it’s not rancid, the olive oil is just a tool to cook something else in and the oil flavor won’t be prominent in the final dish. In other dishes the oil will be a prominent flavor at the end. If you’ve got a budget, it makes sense to reserve the nicest stuff for the second category, right? Same deal with bread, you probably don’t need (or want) to make meatballs with super crunchy bread you carefully baked yourself, but it’s a different story if it’s on the side at the end.

I definitely have “meh” and “nice” olive oils that I use for different purposes.

You must have more storage space than I do, or more mouths to feed. The bread I make myself is the only one in my kitchen. It takes me a couple of weeks to finish a loaf, so keeping a second loaf around wouldn’t make any sense. Same goes for the decent-but-not-spectacular oil. I can’t think of any recipe I’ve ever made that called for super fancy olive oil. It’s nice to have when I go out to eat, but at home? Nah.

1 Like

Agreed. I have mediocre grocery store olive oil for cooking and really good (and pricey) olive oil that I use for dipping, bruschetta, etc where the oil flavor is prominent or even the focal point.

But to @small_h 's point, I only have a household of two, but a large kitchen and pantry. When I lived in a twin in the city with a very small kitchen, I was much less extravagant.

I work part time in a shop that sells olive oils and balsamics. Of the plain oils we sell the differences are in the flavor: from very green and aggressive, through buttery, to more delicate; some with peppery notes, some not. They sell for around $2 an ounce, so not cheap, but I can definitely tell they have more specific flavors than most of the oils I’ve gotten at a place like Costco.

But… it’s like wine- the best one for you is the one you like the taste of and where the cost is comfortable for you. If you can’t taste the differences or if they don’t really matter to you, why use better oils? One reason might be that many oils that say they’re “olive oil” have been cut with other types of oil, so they don’t have the same nutritional elements. But that’s up to you.

There’s also a whole other world of ‘flavored’ olive oils. I use a lot of one that’s pressed with garlic so I use very little real garlic in much of my cooking. Saves time in prep.

2 Likes

I would set the dish down like Ming Tsai at a table and then start plating and eating. It should then fade out before I really start gorging.

3 Likes

On that same website, is this little gem of an article:

I Just Learned That Raw Oysters Are Still Alive When You Eat Them

“You might love slurping on some oysters on a warm day with a glass of white wine in hand. Or perhaps on a first date (they are apparently an aphrodisiac.) Yet, did you know that those oysters you’re eating are actually alive when you put them in your mouth? Because I certainly didn’t. And now I can’t seem to shake that thought from my mind. They are ALIVE and I am swallowing them.”

This from a Food site?! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You forgot the bottle of wine :grin: he ALWAYS recommended a bottle of wine to go with whatever he made. Loved his show.

1 Like

Most likely like bugs bunny. That’s all folks .

3 Likes

I killed three dozen in the last two weeks.

I had a BF who claimed he could feel them quivering. I never could.

One more reason to chew your food - to kill it.

3 Likes

LOL :rofl:

No, Rachel Ray had a very large hand in that as well. And don’t get me started with her spelling out EVOO every. damn. time.

5 Likes

For sure. And please, there is room in the Food Network hall of fame for Sandra Lee and Ms Spageeeeeeeti herself- my personal nails in a chalkboard peeve

4 Likes

TFN Hall of Shame is perfect for Shamdra Lee. :wink:

2 Likes