Silliness & Food Funnies 2019

Haha, notice the skull and crossbones, too?

Like processed meat? NotJrvedivici show 'em how to make a real McRib!

I told the partner straight away many moons ago: “Do not give me gifts or flowers, but if you must then get ziiiiis!”

Saw this in a UK food mag. Can’t comment on the service as I don’t eat out at home but I would vote 100% for all the other reasons. There should be one for (annoying) pets as well. It’s no place for pets. And clicking fingers at servers? Really now! Dimly lit restaurants is another no-no for me.

1 Like

A waste of lobster

They have run out of ideas

Or they’ll find out when they get their first pay check

2 Likes

Wow, these are some seriously unappetizing ice cream “flavors.” :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Agree completely.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth at that!

I came across a bunch of photos of receipts but only saved these. Many of them are so cruel, ridiculous and downright stupid. Some people feel the need to be cruel to servers.

The guy in Texas gave a 2K tip but the restaurant couldn’t process the credit card. The owner ended up giving the server the 2K. Meanwhile somewhere in Canada:

OMG. Free Chardonnay for military spouses? That’s a new one. And a single mom can afford $138 meal, but can’t afford to tip?

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

One of the few high-tippers I know of wasn’t tipping for good service at all - it was his way of asking for, ummm, service, IYKWIM. Anyone who saw him approaching would tell his only intended target to go hide in the back office till he left.

I made my first attempt at chicken fried rice this past weekend. I found a nice looking recipe for chicken fried steak and made the necessary substitution, but it’s trickier than you might think because rice is not very big. Major props to Chinese-restaurant cooks everywhere for their hard work.

2 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and assume you meant to say you found a recipe for steak fried rice. Otherwise I’m really interested to find out how one converts a recipe for chicken fried steak into fried rice. :slightly_smiling_face:

And the mother of 2 kids couldn’t tip 15% on a bill for $10.67? That’s $1.60.

1 Like

It’s been said many times, but I guess it bears repeating: if you “can’t afford” to tip, you can’t afford to eat at a restaurant. Or get food delivered.

4 Likes

And yet, petty, dumbass people do shit like not leaving a tip of any kind on a $10.67 check. When I was making $13,000 a year back in 1979, I left a 15% tip. Forty plus years later…we have more dumbass entitled people who are oblivious to the world and people around them.

I hate the idea of tips. But when I eat in restaurants in the States, I leave tips of 20%, and then I round up. I do not want to disadvantage servers. But I’m always glad to eat in places like Manhattan’s Maialino, where tipping is not allowed.

3 Likes

I worked at a restaurant for several years in HS and college and my boss was a real no BS type of guy. If people pulled this kind of no tipping nonsense he’d be chasing them into the parking lot with a cleaver.

1 Like

I do too. But the U.S. restaurant system is built on the low wage/earn from your tips method, so I tip as well as I can…more at my favorite restaurants or for exemplary service. In 1979, 15% was considered a great tip. Now, 20% is often considered standard. It’s a hard freaking job. I’ve never done it, but I very much appreciate those who do it well.

2 Likes

The topic name does say “silliness”… :wink:

2 Likes

I’m so glad you’re joking @DavidPF - when I read fried rice, CFS, and “rice isn’t big” I was confused! Yes, rice is little, grain by grain, but big in cooked bulk of course! And always out populating any meat or veg in the dish. Which is obvious that you know…:upside_down_face:

This is what I do when out: breakfast - hardly ever go, but when I do it’s all out - brekkie and a Bloody, maybe even something else too. So, it’s special, and I tip 15%, rounding up, to be generous. Lunch is infrequent too, but again, is 15%. Dinner, typically 20%, but if the servers are extra helpful or good, I go up to 25-30%. Typically the higher tips happen when we establish a connection of sorts, or if they recommend other places to go to, for instance, when we might be traveling out of town, to a conference, or something.

If the food isn’t good, I never send it back, unless it’s burnt all over and completely inedible. I know this is a kitchen fault, and don’t hold it against the server. However, if the service is horrible, they have a bad attitude, or just don’t care, it gets dropped down to 15% or even 10% in the most egregious of circumstances.

The last one is hotels: sometimes, during a conference or vacation, we’re in a hotel for 3 - 7 days or so; it used to be that I’d always leave some money in the room for the housekeepers to find, even if we only spent a night there. These days, I make a point of handing them a generous tip up front. Self serving? Yes, I know, but when I treat people well, it all comes back, in the form of extra coffee, a sewing kit, or whatever. Furthermore, I try to get to know the people I’m very blessed to encounter! I learn a lot, and yes, we wind up talking about their culture, or food ways, music or whatever. I’m very enriched by these encounters.

Finally, and I’m not trying to make myself look good, but rather, I want to share - when I was in New Orleans in 2017, I got pretty sick, early on in the trip. Big Bummer! Can’t even tell you how disappointed I was! The dinners and shopping were all planned out, but no, I was marooned in the hotel! :scream_cat:

Long story short, knew I wouldn’t be able to shop for the normal souvenir t-shirts and stuff that my family and friends didn’t need anyway, so I gave my relatively small budget for that away! To street people, artists and musicians. Can’t tell you how liberating that felt, as well, it made me feel better, after a traumatic travel experience. I did end up at Tulane Medical Center ER in the middle of the night. Thank god it wasn’t a weekend! You can better believe I took care of everyone that took care of me. I’m talking about the wonderful people at the hotel, the cab drivers. etc. The hospital staff were great, but of course tipping not appropriate! :upside_down_face: I’m forever grateful for the kindness I experienced on that trip, it was truly humbling.

2 Likes