Silliness & Food Funnies 2019

Just no

1 Like

Just think of them as really tiny soft shell crab.

Oops, didn’t read all the replies to see crab was already mentioned. I’ve never tried them though, that was only a guess!

1 Like

Hey, if you want to support sustainable food sources, bugs are definitely one of them. I wouldn’t make tarantulas a regular part of my diet, but I was interested in trying them. Same with fermented fish in Iceland (and THAT did not go well). On the flip side, I’ve met French people who absolutely refuse to eat corn on the cob, because “it’s food for the pigs, not for the people.” And read about Chinese people who think salad is “too cooling,” and thus, dangerous. (I wish I could find that article, but Gourmet’s archives are gone, I think.)

1 Like

Ha, a dear friend who now lives in Italy says some of her Italian acquaintances see corn on the cob as “pig food.”

Familiarity with a food influences our likes and dislikes for sure.

1 Like

You have to realize that the quality of the corn in Europe does not in any way approach what you get in the States.

4 Likes

Oh, no doubt. But my first-person anecdote is about a pastry chef (as it happens) who was staying with a friend of mine in La Jolla. He flat out refused to eat the corn we were grilling, although it was very nice corn, and although he said he liked the way it smelled.

Is it that the corn is ON the cob? Or would he not even eat corn that had been cut off the cob?

No corn, cobbed or otherwise. He seemed to think it was the equivalent of eating hay.

Here in SE Pennsylvania there are definitely two types of corn–one for livestock consumption and one for human consumption. A few years ago my nephew could not understand why he couldn’t pick fresh corn at a dairy farm but could at a “people” farm. Two totally different products.

1 Like

Third type is the horrid stuff for ethanol in gasoline.

1 Like

I guess no one in Majorca wears skirts.

Interesting that a chef wouldn’t even TRY some sweet corn, even off the cob, or Mexican street corn.

I’m sure plenty of chefs are just as unadventurous about trying new foods as the average person. Especially if they’re from countries that (purportedly, at least) regard their own cuisine as superior to all others.

I was browsing (BBC) Food videos whilst on the stair-climbing machine in the gym and came across this:

“Uncle Roger” speaks normal in the news report. So the Hong Kong accent is his professional way of talking (he’s a comedian).

Lots of people are copying Nigel (Uncle Roger) doing the same reaction videos now.

2 Likes

This is why I have trust issues.

This sounds like Mr. Lee of Mr. Lee’s Greater Hong Kong in Neal Stephenson’s SNOW CRASH: “[Mr. Lee’s] English is almost devoid of a Chinese accent; clearly his cute, daffy public image is just a front.”

5 Likes

Snopes says these are joke cans.

2 Likes

Good - thanks for checking

1 Like

How far we’ve come since this. The modern ones are beautiful and have many amazing functions. Unfortunately, I don’t have any room for such a nice, modern thing.

Where sesame seeds come from

We can’t peel citrus fruits anymore?

I love garlic but this is just noooooooo! Why does it say “Swiss”? Is it a Swiss product?

1 Like