Silliness and Food Funnies 2023

Not food related but hard to pass up.

8 Likes

from the New Yorker

3 Likes

7 Likes

Solves the age-old problem of how not to cry when cutting onions.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I’d try it.

2 Likes

And so would I. But pretty much like Charlie Brown trying to kick the ball when Lucy is holding it, I will be disappointed. Again.
I would like to find healthy vegan substitutes for some of my favorite foods. But the vegan foods are usually not even close. I have friends that tell me to try item X or item Y, but they are always either vile or simply not the same type of food. I went to a vegan hotel in Bangkok last month, which is why I am on this rant. I did not know the free breakfast was vegan. Until I started eating it. LOL! Talk about soy at its most mundane, this was worse.
So TJ can continue to try, and I may give it a go, but I do not expect to see it be worth much.

3 Likes

I’d try it out of curiosity.

TJ’s soy “meat” balls are very good, so that gives me some hope.

Vegan breakfast would make me sad. I like eggs too much.

The vegan hotel tried to replace both eggs and sausage with vegan products. Not successfully.
There are tons of great vegan foods, but they tend to be foods like fruits or vegetables, served raw or prepared in a multitude of ways, but served on their own merits.
Trying to replace a protein with a veg is usually going to end poorly.

Not always, though. Mushrooms, jackfruit, tofu, tempeh, seitan etc. do a pretty good job at least some of the time. But I actually like meat substitutes. I know not everyone does.

2 Likes

I dont fully agree either. I grew up in a Brooklyn neighborhood where quite a few households were kosher. There were meat restaurants and there were dairy restaurants. The dairy restaurants had menus with many dishes that were, in hindsight, vegan (although the term wasnt used and the kitchens didnt separate pure veggie cooking from the dairy products). So I grew up sampling lots of seitan, soy & tofu dishes that were made to resemble meat dishes. My favorite was veggie chopped “liver”. Similarly, Chinatown had a number of vegetarian places as well & they also put out menus touting “tastes like meat” dishes.

1 Like

I loved my Nana’s veggie chopped liver.

Not a fan of tofu or tempeh, but i agree that mushrooms can make a good solid meal. I had them with a risotto yesterday instead of a traditional protein and they did the job nicely.
Jackfruit? I will have to check that out next time I am in a place that can prepare it well.

I always let the pros do it. I’ve tried to make it myself (bbq pulled “pork”) and it was something of a disaster.

1 Like

One more

Okay, just a few more

Canine IT department at your service

I can’t remember but someone might have already posted this one in one of the food prices threads

7 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes

HEH! :laughing:

Hope that’s not meant to be a romantic dinner for two.

2 Likes