Should I make my own harrissa?

I see some simple recipes, with high ratings. I really like harrissa , and have some tubes, but is this one of those “make-it-dont buy-it” things?

This is what I have.

1 Like

There’s obviously no reason why you shouldnt make it , if it will please you.

Like with most condiments and prepared flavourings, I’ve never even considered making my own. I’m very happy with the product I buy - Phare du Cap Bon, which costs pennies for a 70g tube which easily lasts me a year.

3 Likes

In the cuisine of the month thread Moroccan thread, @smtucker has post her favourite harissa recipe.

and Ras El Hanout:

1 Like

We are not big harissa eater.

A question, if I make homemade harissa, how long can it be kept? To preserve, is it better to bottle them or to freeze them?

1 Like

Go for it!! Document the process and be sure to post the results! Good luck!

1 Like

I found that it went moldy on me very quickly in the fridge, when I made my own. Next time I would freeze.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

1 Like

I find joy in learning. Even if you don’t like the result at least you learn something.

I used to use Tunisian harrissa. Spread it on bread then make a sandwich with anything. The garlicky smell drove everyone mad. It gets mouldy fast, as mentioned by Biondanonima.

In Morocco I learnt that their version is more fluid and often served with grilled meat. You dip your bread in the harrissa and grip a piece of meat with the same bread.

5 Likes

Went with store bought, with a few amendments.

Realized I had another kind of “harissa”, and made some chicken breast feeding for the short term.

Haven’t actually COOKED yet, and it’s almost time for Top Chef!

2 Likes

Nice. I was just flipping through an old Australian lamb cookery book and there’s a recipe for harissa marinated lamb, like in your photo. Now that I’ve been to Morocco where harissa is used mostly as a condiment, I think we find more creative uses for it in the West and both are good

Sorry, the other way around. Grip meat with the bread and dip in the harissa.

Moroccans are big bread eaters, not couscous (which is served on fridays). Bread and olives are eaten 3 times a day. Bread is served alongside any savoury food and at every meal. As Moroccans don’t use cutlery so the bread is to mop up juices, liquid and grip meat with.

1 Like

“Phare du Cap Bon”.

Apparently I bought that brand on Amazon!

1 Like

Phare du Cap Bon?

It’s the lighthouse at the end of Cape Bon, which is the Tunisian peninsula which juts out towards Sicily, maybe 150km away.

3 Likes

Here’s the lamb shoulder.

4 Likes

Stunning! Your kitchen skills and curiosity rock my world😉

1 Like

I grew Tunisian baklouti peppers a few years ago just to make harissa and it blew any jar or tube I’ve ever tried out of the water. If you’re a gardener I highly recommend giving it a try- the plants were easy to grow and loaded with peppers all season long.

3 Likes

Where’d you get the seeds? Sounds like something I’d like to try.

2 Likes

I got them in a trade with other pepper growers but I think Baker Creek has them.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did find them there, at $.16/seed. Which seems like a lot. Not in absolute terms, but compared to other seeds.

Do you know what kind of pepper they are? Dave’s Garden says it’s an “annum”.
Not so helpful in this regard article from Saveur

Tunisian Baklouti