Shiner, Texas

You could have driven just ten minutes more to see my old new house! Next time, plan on it, please. :grinning:

2 Likes

I wanted to go but the first night we got likkered up and the women folk took off for Shiner the next morning before I came back to life.

Next time I’ll contact you off line for directions in the sprawling metropolis of Shiner.

2 Likes

Maybe on a separate day trip. Galvan’s is usually great, just an off day. Taking a detour would drive the Wifeacita nuts as she’s chomping at the bit to get out to Hallettsville/Wied/Shiner.

3 Likes

I’d love to show you my Dad’s map of the missions he flew in 1944/45 over Germany.

Yes bombs were dropped, lots of them as he helped defend our country.

1 Like

Jaymes I know you know this.

I’d love for y’all to see my new old house that I’m renovating. Although right now, it’s still looking pretty rough - speaking of bombs going off.

3 Likes

By the way, are there eats at Shiner plant?

1 Like

I don’t know. Tours shut down so haven’t been.

2 Likes

We called him Big Ed not so much in stature but actually for his Big Edness. He was part of the “Mississippi Burning” cases back then. I saw the Highway Patrol kiss his A for speeding on the way to the beach. The badge and service go a long way.

He was shot down over Germany piloting a B17 at an age when I was chasing girls and playing handball.

Oh yes, Daddy was bombing Germany in a B24.

I’m crying my eyes out as I type this. What guys. What a generation!!

2 Likes

I am not selling our current generation one short. I’ve worked with many fine young men that put their lives on the line for all of us.

Thanks!!!

Como se dice, combat?

1 Like

What conflict was this? In Germany? When you were a yoot?

2 Likes

Good looking, I’ll say it, hero.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224187914668363&set=a.10212970759726500

Father, kneeling third from right.

1 Like

I was born 12 years after WWII.

The young men I worked with were serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. One time a former MP said my PTSDs are really pumping today. In WWI they called it shell shock.

Look to the top of the photo and just to the right was Daddy’s “office.” You can see one of two 50 caliber machine guns he commanded.

As top turret gunner he was also flight engineer meaning he knew every system on the aircraft.

Maybe just me but I can’t get the links to work.

In the words of the great apesar Neville Chamberlain “If you don’t succeed at once, try, try again.”

Then you wave a document in the air and oops, 50 million people die.

Try this Jaymes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224187914668363&set=a.10212970759726500

Or try this.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person?search=krystyniak&civilian=&airforce=&group_category=&group=&az=

1 Like

Flying over Germany must have been a hoot at altitude in an unpressurized aircraft at 50 degrees below zero. There is a real possibility of dying on takeoff or landing plus getting blasted out of the sky by fighters or AAA, anti-aircraft artillery.

I think today’s hipsters might pay big money for the danger factor.

1 Like

Air Museum one worked. Saw his face. So much character.

1 Like