Shiner, Texas

You grade on a tough curve.

1 Like

Come on Jaymes, that’s a no brainer, step your game up and don’t use Wiki.

1 Like

The Spanish explorers called it Brazos de Dios, the arms of God. Can I still say that?!"

Here’s a possible soundtrack:

4 Likes

I’ll be driving back to Katy in a week or so to pack up and get moved. I’ll count & name those rivers. Not wiki!

And now have driven to Hallettsville several times and think of you while driving through Wied. There’s the Wied Hall and a big beautiful home and not much else I can see!

Here’s my kitchen with the wood floor sanded & ready to refinish.

7 Likes

What a lovely place Jaymes. I can almost smell the cookies baking…

Luvya.

NDW

2 Likes

There are cinco rios, all with Spanish names. You got one, two more are easy, but if you blink you might miss the other two.

The small ranch where we were married is off a gravel road at the top of the hill.

The Lavaca County Courthouse in Hallettsville is a beautiful old structure. When we got our marriage license there the wedding was thirty days away and that’s how long the license is good for.

We sent three of the good courthouse ladies into a tizzy trying to do the math, they wanted to be sure it was legal. They were nice and helpful, this is small town Texas and that’s how people are.

The Wifeacita and I surmised that tongues were wagging at lunch and dinner tables. I’m thinking if they had party phone lines like I did as a kid they would have been on fire. Does anybody remember those?

1 Like

I remember party lines. In Nebraska, we lived in a very small farming community called Richfield, about 10 miles or so west of Offutt AFB. “Our” ring was two shorts & one long! :phone:

1 Like

I know you know this but you were ground zero with a bullet on the Rooskie nuclear hit list, SAC headquarters and all.

1 Like

Of course. That’s why the SAC Command Center was (and is) underground. And my daddy went to work everyday in “the hole.”

And why Looking Glass always was (and is) in the air.

3 Likes

I guess that lets out the Trinity and Woman Hollerin Creek which were two of my guesses, even though Trinity doesn’t go that far south I don’t think.

1 Like

Do you plan to keep the antique sinkI have seen in there before? Has central air been added to the home?

1 Like

Is that a deal breaker next Spring when we settle in like a plague of locusts for a couple of weeks of BBQ and crawfish/crab boils. Maybe the women folk can whip up something in that nice kitchen.

I like a good A/C window unit. The A/C for my brother and I was a fan. When we got a small Monkey Ward unit for our bedroom it was Nirvana. It went well with our Admiral black and white TV with the requisite foil on the antennas for improved reception.

2 Likes

It goes that far south to Trinity Bay part of Galveston Bay but not far west. This from your U of H trained Geography student, any questions on SE Texas geography, and most of the rest of the planet are happily answered.

2 Likes

They’re going to be installing central air sometime over next week or two. I’m getting that on the ground floor. And those “split units” on the upper “Guest Suites” level. By next spring, all will be wonderful.

And I’ll hold you all to it.

This is the backyard. Note the lovely covered porch!

7 Likes

…and the lovely fire pit!

1 Like

Does anybody in our happy little group have any cowboy cooking experience like they do on tv?

That pit screams dueling cast iron Dutch ovens with chicken fried steak and peach cobbler.

4 Likes

I can cook in a real cast-iron Dutch oven (the kind with legs & a flat lid to hold hot coals), but not chicken-fried steak. I’m more a stew or beans girl. Chicken-fried steak is more of cast-iron skillet kinda deal. I could do beans & cornbread, though.

And peach cobbler in that Dutch oven? Yep. Can do that.

3 Likes

We were just invited back to Wied and the scene of the crime, er wedding. The Wifeacita needs to get some days off cleared and we’re there.

1 Like

Brazos
Colorado
San Gabriel
San Marcos
San Antonio?

I usually turn off of I10 at Columbus heading to Austin or Lexington. You cross the Colorado like 5 times going to my buddy’s house in Austin.

4 Likes