Shelf life of open refrigerated, jarred red cabbage, open jarred sour cherries in syrup

If there is no sign of decay in an open jar of red cabbage (Kühne brand from Germany )or cherries , how long would you use these items?

I keep dill pickles and bread & butter pickles for around a year, but tend to throw out pickled beets after a month.

As long as it doesn’t look (mold) or smells bad you can eat it for a long time

2 Likes

Ok, thank you.

Fruit in syrup or cooked pickled red cabbage is likely to mold or ferment in ‘going bad’ and you are unlikely to be able to ingest a harmful amount by the time you notice. If it is cooked red cabbage without being piclked, serous bad bugs can develop without showing any off signs. Food code calls for 4 days shelf life once opened for most prepared foods.

Far be it for me to doubt the petroleum industry-backed corporate food code which runs rampages over science.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure about the red cabbage. I don’t consider it pickled, and it isn’t covered with liquid. The manufacturer’s FAQ said don’t eat it if it looks or tastes weird, but wouldn’t give an idea about how long to keep it if it was open but not contaminated.

Some jarred Italian pesto I have bought has said to discard after it has been open 4 days or 7 days. Tetrapaks of soup often say to discard after 4 days. I have seen some juices and alternative milks mention to discard after 7-10 days once opened.

I throw most of my own cooked food and most opened prepared food out after 3 days. I keep open jarred commercial spaghetti sauce for a week, and I keep open applesauce for 2 or 3 weeks.

I use this site to look up shelf lives. Many entries also cover opened vs unopened.

Still Tasty

They used to have an iPhone app years ago, but didn’t keep it up.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m on a current search & destroy mission in my fridge & cabinets. :joy:

1 Like

I spent the better part of a day in Dec defrosting my freezer, something I had been putting off since 2020, something which should be done at least once a year :rofl:

I ended up throwing out a lot of stuff and now my freezer is so tidy.

I’m going to go through my pantry and donate a lot of stuff that’s “still good but I’m not likely to use it” to the food bank.

1 Like

I find that commercially prepared fermented foods have always lost their punch—in flavor, texture—before they could spoil. Makes me wonder if those things can even truly spoil or would their quality just keep degrading?

I’m looking at you, last lonely pickles from a forgotten jar in the back of the fridge. We parted ways.

1 Like

No idea. It’s funny how last year’s pickles become unappetizing.

2 Likes

I’d think the cherries in syrup should last quite a while, though the syrup may crystallize in the cold. Would you say the syrup is thin and runny at room temp like maple syrup, or thicker like honey?

1 Like

Very thin syrup, not much thicker than water. I am finishing the cherries today, they seem the same as when I opened them a month ago.

1 Like

Same kind of question.

Would you use Scotch that has had some cork sitting in it since last Jan? A bit of cork broke off into then bottle. It’s not a big bottle or too expensive, just wondering if it would’ve oxidized or if there is a health concern, letting cork sit in alcohol for a year, then using it, or if the taste will be off as a result.

TIA

Might taste off, but not a health concern.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like