Sharing a kitchen .

I am relocating to another area . The situation is I am renting a room from a older fellow who is cool . I have not had a roommate in such a long time and when I did I was the head of household . Luckily this is only temporary until I find a house to purchase . I find myself walking on egg shells just being out of my environment in the kitchen . I like to make these big meals with a lot going on . Sometimes smoking out the house while searing meat , frying fish . etc, etc… I feel like now I have to simplify things . Boiled meals , one pot cooking , shorter amount of time in the kitchen . I did bring my own knives and a couple pans . Have you ever shared a kitchen ? And feel the way I do . Also any suggestions for simple quick recipes with little mess would be a great help .

Does he cook a lot too and you’re competing for space & equipment? Or do you feel like your cooking is somehow a distraction or bother to him? Or is he retired and overly inquisitive?

It would be really hard to adjust to a roommate after so many years without one. I think you should try to limit smoking out the house, frying fish, and otherwise creating strong or lingering odors. Can you adjust your schedules so you can do prep or make sides when he’s not trying to cook? Maybe simpler meals but more pickles & condiments & such.

1 Like

Is the kitchen well equipped? What are the available equipments?

I used shared kitchen when travelling long time ago, but I didn’t try to cook big meals, just heating up stuffs. I have used other people’s kitchen to cook big meals, and it was really difficult, non sharp knives, no balance, lack of baking equipments… even the fire wasn’t right. I need to use twice as much time to cook the same thing.

I’m sure this temp situation will prompt you to find your own place quickly to go back to enjoy your big meals. Best luck!

My significant other prefers that our apartment not smell smoky or onion-y, so I try to limit my cooking of smoky or onion-y things to when he’s not home. I would suggest you do something similar. Use the oven more than the stove to keep smells confined. A window fan that draws air out of the kitchen is a good investment, as is a splatter screen if you can’t live without fried fish and seared meat (but I think you probably can). But most important, communicate with your roommate to learn what’s likely to piss him off, and what he doesn’t give a damn about. Maybe you have less to worry about than you think.

2 Likes

Ah. So having a significant other is like having a roomate. :blush:

Exactly more simple meals . Yes he does cook . We respect each others privacy . I just need to keep it simple for now . Any suggestions for sharing a kitchen , making simple recipes for myself would be much appreciated . Out of my element. Thanks

Are you only cooking for yourself? I was going to suggest roasting/baking might be your ticket…but that’s usually a lot of food for one unless you are good at repurposing leftovers for lunch or other dishes. Can you coordinate shared meals? Strata or quiche are two things that come to mind that can be done in small quantities and are one dish meals. Pot pies are another. Soup can be simple and one dish or round out with a salad.

1 Like

Sure, in the sense that you have to compromise and make adjustments to accommodate one another. But I’ve only lived with people I knew already. Living with a stranger is probably a lot more work.

1 Like

This soup is easy and very filling.

This is also quick

1 Like

Before you unpack your kitchen equipment, observe your roommate using his own – – for years I held back on getting good kitchen equipment because i’ve had adult roommates scrape or permanently burn pans, damage good knives, etc.

If the kitchen has space, an Instapot or other pressure cooker can make quick meals and not have you both competing for space on the stove.

Is there a dishwasher?

2 Likes

There is a dishwasher. No Instapot or pressure cooker.

Sounds like the right time to focus on more simple easy meals like pastas or dishes like ceviche or crudo would be perfect, that’s a way to have your fish without creating fishy kitchen smells.
It’s been a very long time since i had a roommate but i found that as long as we were respectful of each other’s groceries (ie don’t eat my yogurt just because you’re hungry and it’s there!) it was rather easy.
We had a shelf of common ingredients that we shared, basics like olive oil and spices and sugar.
Actually just cleaning up well after yourself and washing up pots and pans goes a long way towards overall harmony!
Is there an outdoor grill…? That would be ideal for any especially messy or smokey things. My dad actually uses a cast iron skillet on the bbq for cooking things that spatter a lot and for bacon since the smell lingers.

3 Likes

I think that is the direction I am going to take . I will buy all my own condiments . I will use the grill also.

1 Like

When I had roommates, no one cooked. Except maybe we’d make ramen or cookies sometimes. I can’t imagine living with someone that fried garlic or onions, or actually any frying. And yes, clean up after yourself! One time, someone’s boyfriend made scrambled eggs and the pan was in the sink for two days, so the next morning I threw it out. :smirk:

1 Like

I am super clean. It’s just some of the things I cook. :bomb:

1 Like

Okay, that’s good. Greasy, smelly things should be avoided. Other than that, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Though people can be strange. I had a friend that hated the smell of cuniferous vegetables cooking. She would eat them in restaurants, but couldn’t stand the smell at home.

2 Likes

How about start making stinky tofu, surstromming, durian etc immediately? And when your roommate gets alarmed by your adventurous eating, then scale back to cooking your normal food which your roommate can then breathe a sigh of relief and won’t make a peep that you are using a little more garlic than preferred.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

You don’t cook onions or garlic?

Occasionally I will use onions, but not a hard fry. And no garlic, or bacon.