Sharing a kitchen .

Hard fry? Do you mean deep fry? I can’t imagine not satueeing onions and garlic for almost all dinners.

3 Likes

I would be hard pressed to cook without garlic and onions. Plus I find the aroma of them cooking to be very pleasant.

2 Likes

I last shared a kitchen in a roommate situation last year for 4 months when I stayed with a friend to assist her in recovering from surgery and keep her business open.

Perhaps the most important thing besides courtesy is to be very observant. How do they do dishes, what is their sponge system, how are things stored, etc. Everyone has idiosyncrasies and the silly stuff is often where tensions begin.

I’ve been thinking about the meals that you’ve posted about and how to adapt the ingredients to quicker/less messy methods. For fish an en papillote method would work well. Braises are good - perhaps lamb shanks with white beans. Lentils cook fast and can be used as a hot side or in a cold salad.

2 Likes

It seems as if you are both pretty reasonable and thoughtful individuals … Why not just ask him directly if there is anything in particular he finds offensive. What bothers one person may not necessarily bother another. Maybe he loves the foods you like to cook but never learned how to prepare them himself, maybe he doesn’t have a keen sense of smell and nothing bothers him, maybe everything bothers him … What do you have to lose by asking directly? At the very least he will probably appreciate your concern … life is too short for eggshells!

3 Likes

Grilling gives you a lot of options! Especially since it’s kind of a year round thing in CA- unless you’re in the part of Mt shasta that gets snow…?
You can grill a few meals worth of protein at a time and then rework it into other meals later in the week (hot open face sandwiches are underrated, everything can become tacos or a burrito, and if all else fails use as frittata filling or soup)

1 Like

Or you could just order pizza every night. Ya know, the old college roommate bonding thing. :wink:

1 Like

Grilled vegetables, pizza, vegetable burgers…not everything has to be an animal as you well know.

Why don’t you just ask him if he has any food/smell aversions, or if he minds you cooking up a storm? It sounds like you are just assuming he wouldn’t be ok with your normal style of cooking, and he might be thinking “wow, what a boring cook!”

Just ask him what he’s ok and not ok with. I’d personally rather smell onions and garlic than cabbage or eggs!

3 Likes

Some brainstormings:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/one-pan-roast?cm_mmc=ExactTarget--email--Good-food-newsletter-565-13-09-2017-_-email&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Good-food-newsletter-565-13-09-2017

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/one-pot?cm_mmc=ExactTarget--email--Good-food-newsletter-565-13-09-2017-_-email&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Good-food-newsletter-565-13-09-2017

1 Like