SFBA: Pizza

I had a Margherita ($17) from Angie’s in the Mission.
TOMATO SAUCE, FRESH MOZZARELLA, BASIL, PARM ($17)

A very good pizza - thin crust cheese pizza with a basil oil drizzle.

The Mission was lit tonight. Go Niners!

6 Likes

NY slices from Arinell, downtown Berkeley.

The crust was a little thicker than usual, but the sauce/cheese proportions were just right.

4 Likes

Cellermaker House of Pizza,
Al Pastor, marinated chopped pork, pineapple, onion cheese cilantro- excellent with a couple dabs of their homemade hot sauce. Their salads a really good too.

4 Likes

Marg from Flour + Water in north beach. A+

6 Likes

Gaspare’s on Geary SF
That is some seriously old school red sauce joint, frozen in time. I hadn’t been in years.

4 Likes

Starting today, February 15, famed North Beach pizzeria Tony’s Pizza Napoletana is offering a new pizza tasting menu that takes diners on a world tour of seven styles. The Pizza Around the World Tasting Experience menu costs $500 for the table, which can accommodate up to six diners — though you’re welcome to try to tackle seven pizzas with fewer people if you want. Seatings will be available Wednesday through Sunday at 5, 7, and 9 p.m. and for those who want to avoid waiting for a seat at the ever-popular restaurant, note that you can make a reservation for this experience.

It’s a lot of food, pizzaiolo Tony Gemignani warns, adding that for years, customers have been asking for a way to taste the many pizza styles offered at his eponymous restaurant. “So, I kinda finally did it after nearly 15 years,” he says with a laugh.

3 Likes

Today I had a Margherita from Tony’s Pizza Napoletana in North Beach, SF. It’s easier to get a seat here at 3pm on a Tuesday than on the weekend :joy:

Apparently only 73 are made a day, I wonder what number mine was.

I quite enjoyed it - it had a nice thin tender crust with nice leoparding. It came sliced.

5 Likes

Long way from, yet close to, Castro Valley roots !

1 Like

He is going back to his roots. Supposed to be opening a Slice House in Castro Valley this year.

1 Like

Yup, in the Castro Valley Market on the Boulevard, only a couple of miles from me.

Very fitting. Godspeed.

Casey’s, 4th street, SF.
This was pretty meh honestly. The sauce wasn’t really bright, the cheese was pretty flavorless and the crust was nothing special.

1 Like

This was also my experience when I tried their pizza a few years ago. Bummed that it hasn’t improved. Tadu (next door) has some of the better Ethiopian food in SF proper imo, but that’s a story for another thread.

Yes, I was intrigued by Tadu - will have to check it out.

This weekend I had a slice of the “Purple Haze” at the Slice House by Tony Gemignani location in the Upper Haight. It has pesto, mozzarella, slices of purple potato, feta, and bacon. I enjoyed it. It had a nice NY style crust - quite thin but with structural integrity. They also had grandma and Detroit style slices.

4 Likes

New York Times now called Rose Pizzeria one of the 22 best pizza places in America, and the only place featured in Northern California. What say you, @ernie_in_berkeley ?

3 Likes

It’s a beautiful setting, outon the back deck among the roses, good sauce and the right amount of cheese on the marguerita. The sourdough was too sour for me, though. I’ll visit again.

1 Like