SFBA: Pizza

Hope you’re not down to figs, arugula, goat cheese, walnuts and balsamic! (I jest!)

1 Like

Individual slices are now available at Pi Bar (I’ve only gotten whole NY style pies there in the last year and their crust on average beats Pizza Shop imho).

Not what this suburban-raised NYer craves, but I’ll add that Tony’s has the advantage of having NY style coal oven pizza, which I assume only it does in the SFBA?

3 Likes

Outta Site Pizza on Larkin

We went yesterday. Got two slices to eat there — pepperoni and mushroom — then took a slice to eat on the way home — vodka. There were 5 or so other choices on display.

The pepperoni and mushroom were thin slices from a round pie, both reheated quickly, then with fresh basil, some oil, and cheese shaved on after coming out. Nice crunchy crust, good flavor. Good slices. The mushroom comes without tomato sauce. The vodka they call “lunch lady style” and has a vodka tomato sauce, but a bit thicker (kind of in between their thin slices and something like Golden Boy) and from a rounded rectangle slab. Was also good and would order again if not looking for the thinner, crispier slices, or both again!

The new pepperoni that came out as we were leaving had a lighter outer crust on it and own of the owners was saying her prefers a softer crust than what we had so maybe depending on who’s making the pie you’ll get slightly different crusts. In any case, we’ll be back as we live close enough and they’re really good slices.

4 Likes

There is a similar form of pizza in St Louis that they just call st louis style. it is more like nachos, kinda piled with various toppings, and uses a local industrial cheese. Seems like a similar concept, cut small for bites while drinking.

St Louis style uses Provel cheese, which is something like halfway between super processed American and super processed mozzarella and is… well, I’m not gonna yuck someone else’s yum but let’s say that while it’s beloved by locals, many non locals find it kinda off putting.

1 Like

I’ve not been to St. Louis but looking online at “St. Louise-style pizza” shows and describes a completely different style — " thin cracker-like crust made without yeast…"

Outta Sight definitely has nothing even resembling a St. Louis-style pizza.

1 Like

Yep. Looks not super appetizing to me but still miles better than authentic to this eater. It’s round and square cut.

Here’s one I had earlier this year from what was supposed to be one of best places in the hill district.

The crust is like a slightly soggy ritz cracker and the cheese may not be cheese. It’s called provel. This one had fried eggplant and sausage. The beers came in a fish tank goblet so that helped. The toasted meat raviolis were really great tho.

I am normally not one to engage in regional pizza shit-talk, given my Chicago origins and actual fondness for deep dish (It’s NOT ‘just for tourists’ and no one that actually lives there thinks it is. It’s just not something you get ALL THE TIME).

But I have a hard time defending St. Louis pizza.

3 Likes

Well, you get the cubs, they get the shitty pizza…and hell, the cubs finally won so you’re set for another century…personally, I’d take wrigley and malnati any day.

Tony’s does St. Louis style - I’m going with something else tho.

1 Like

Except Wrigley smells like the pee strewn back alleys of SF, which the sportscasters never mention when they talk about Wrigley’s character on TV.

2 Likes

Not anymore, at least on my visit there last month.

1 Like

I was at wrigley in 2019 and the only places that stank of pee were the trough-style urinals in the men’s room. They get a pass on that one.

What’s more disheartening is how developers have snagged all the property surrounding the park and turned the neighborhood into a baseball themed downtown Disney.

2 Likes

I :heart: Zachary’s.

4 Likes

Is it wrong that I always order an extra side of their Caesar dressing to go with my pizza?

That’s exactly what my buddy did. Sorta ranch adjacent !

I like the tomato sauce on top just fine.

Gnawing on the crusts is as much a Chicago tradition as any other city. Ideally, of course, it should be good enough to finish on its own, but we don’t stand on too much ceremony. Eat your pizza how you want. Dip away.

Nearly half an inch of sausage then pepperoni on top of that crust for the whole surface area doesn’t hurt its chances. More generous with the tomato than say malnati. Check it out if you have a craving.

Oh, I am a great fan of Zachary’s. When I was living more Bay-centric (esp when I worked in the East Bay) the one on Solano in Albany was a regular stop on the way home. Now, also on Solano, just down the hill, is Little Star, which is EXCELLENT. You could do worse than order two small pies, one from Little Star, and one from Zach’s, just to do a head-to-head. I want to do this, but being a 90 min drive away now makes it less convenient.

1 Like